1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Food Network

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Splendid Splinter, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

Was not sure if I should start a new thread, but here we are. Anyone here a fan of the Food Network? Any favorite shows, personalities?

My three favorites are Guy Fieri, Michael Symon and Bobby Flay

I will watch anything Guy does on the Food Network; Triple D, Guy's Big Bite, Guy's Kitchen Ranch, Guy's Grocery Games, etc. I just love his personality, and love to watch him go to different restaurants to see what they have to offer. He's given a lot in the past 15 years or so.

Two other shows I really enjoy are Burgers, Brew & 'Que and Beat Bobby Flay. Some times the judging on Bobby Flay can be annoying, however, I really love watching Bobby flay cook.

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I’ve very much come around on Guy Fieri. Used to think he was a douche. But he’s just a good guy who’s having a blast doing what he’s doing.

heyabbott, Iron_chet, garrow and 5 others like this.
  3. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I watch all the time and especially like Guy Fieri.
    I loved the earliest episodes of Guy's Big Bite, and that probably got me into cooking. He made stuff that was simple and good. I'd watch, and think, "I can make that."
    I like Flay's grilling show, and Beat Bobby Flay is good.

Splendid Splinter likes this.
  4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Our house is filled with fans of that network. Last night, all three of us watched two episodes of Beat Bobby Flay before the kiddo went to bed. The wife and kiddo love The Pioneer Woman and make recipes from her show all the time. And, for some reason, our 11-year-old is hooked on watching The Kitchen.

5. Splendid Splinter

I love The Kitchen. Not the biggest fan of Sunny Anderson, however, I do enjoy the other personalities, especially Geoffrey Zakarian. They just seem to have fun together and they give out great tips from time to time.

The wife loves Trisha's Southern Kitchen. I watch with her from time to time.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Really enjoy it. Fieri is over the top but what the hell? A friend is convinced those joints are paying to be on that show and Guy just loves all the food. I don't believe the paying part but can everything really be THAT good? I keep a list of joints near me and have been to several. All but one has been really good. There's even a page on the Food Network website where you can find all the DDD joints by locality.

I was watching DDD one night and I realized the guy running the restaurant is a high school friend of my daughter.

I enjoy Beat Bobby Flay, too. But check out the audience one day. All young. I've tried to get tickets for years. A place called Onset Productions handles that. They're free and they actually pay you to be there. They do two shows a day when they are taping. I've applied at least 50 times. Been picked zero times. I'm thinking of subbing out my profile picture on the Onset page for a youngster to see what happens.

A young friend called one day all excited because he'd been to that day's early taping. I pointed it out and he said, "You know, now that you mention it, everyone there was my age."

Celebrity moment: Ran into Carla Hall in a shoe store one day. She was doing a BBF taping the next day.

Not as big a fan of Chopped or that supermarket show Alex G. does. But I do love DDD, GGG and BBF.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I also always chuckle a bit about this review of the now-closed restaurant in Times Square

As Not Seen on TV

Iron_chet likes this.
  8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Back in the old days, when traveling was a thing, I'd make a list of DDD spots wherever I was going.

I read somewhere the tell on whether he really likes something is whether or not the chef or cook gets a fist bump. I've also noticed sometimes he'll say something like "Wow! That's really interesting how the catfish and pasta interplay with the hot sauce on this pizza. Really unique flavors." I've assumed when he doesn't rave and make guttural "Oh mmmm oooooh" noises that he's not enjoying it all that much."

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't watch as much as I used to. Have always had a massive man crush on Bobby Flay. I was going to Miracle Grill, his restaurant in the East Village, in the early 90s. I will stop and watch if I am flipping around and see his mug on the screen. Even Beat Bobby Flay, which is kind of manufactured TV.

Never been a fan of Guy Fieri. He just bugs me. But we'll stop and watch DDD (which is on all the time) occasionally if we are flipping and there is nothing else on. Guy's Grocery Games is usually pretty dumb, and nothing anyone prepares looks all that good to me.

I don't watch much Chopped anymore. We went through a stage, though. I knew Ted Allen when I lived in Chicago briefly in the 90s. He was a writer, then. Nice guy then.

10. Splendid Splinter

One show that I absolutely cannot stand is Good Eats. Alton Brown is a talented chef, and knows the ins and outs of food, but that show absolutely annoys me.

I do love Restaurant Impossible with Robert Irvine. Not sure how much is made for TV and how much is reality, but it's really cool what he does for some restaurants.

11. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Way back when newspapers were a thing, the TV in the sports desk would get switched from whatever doldrum-season obscure sporting event was airing to the original Japanese “Iron Chef,” fairly humorously dubbed to English. Pretentious declining actor and giggling woman were some of our favorite judges.

The Bobby Flay connection is that he competed against Chef Morimoto a couple of times on the show and was such a brash American that he pissed off pretty much all of Japan.

12. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

I don't cook, but I love competition cooking shows. The original Japanese "Iron Chef" was my gateway drug -- there's a separate set of episodes with different overdubbing that's not as good, FYI -- and now I watch a lot of them.

I try not to binge any one, because the style gets old fast, but one episode of "Chopped" followed by "Guy's Grocery Games" keeps it palatable. (For the record, I'm not a Guy Fieri fan. I wonder what's real and what's a persona with all the "celebrity chefs.") Unlike Moddy, I enjoy "Supermarket Stakeout," mostly because I can totally imagine the horror of a contestant who sees me coming out of a store then realizes all I bought was vegetables and junk food. :confused:

Draft saved Draft deleted