1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Concert that exceeded your expectations

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Splendid Splinter, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

What concerts have you been to that you weren't expecting much, but you ended up being blown away?

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Viperhouse at the Iron Horse in Northampton Mass ca. 2000.

Lusty chick in knee-high boots on vocals, large band with lots of brass, musical energy to power a thousand suns.

ChrisLong likes this.
  3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Poe. Incredible voice and stage presence. I was blown away.

I saw Wet Willie open up for someone years ago, can't even remember who now. But Wet Willie was shockingly fun, very good. Rare I remember the opening act and not the lead act.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Many years ago a friend of mine had an extra ticket for Alabama at the CNE Grandstand in Toronto. I took the ticket because I wanted to see the opener, Roy Orbison, but Alabama put on a great show and then met with fans and signed autographs in front of the stage after the show, something I had never seen a rock act do.

5. John

John Well-Known Member

Arcade Fire at JazzFest about 10 years ago. Knew they existed but I'd never heard them at that point. Wonderful show.

Springsteen at JazzFest about 8 years ago. I was largely indifferent to Springsteen but the show he put on was incredible. It helped that Tom Morello was playing with him for that tour.

6. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

Bruce Hornsby and The Range, Orlando 1988. Small venue. Music was extraordinary. He was at an outdoor concert just before-- wrong setting.

7. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Hootie and the Blowfish. Saw them at a benefit show in Myrtle Beach. Half the set was covers, which they absolutely blew me away with. It’s easy to forget they were a bar/frat band for years and had to know a shit ton of pop rock. They also had a bunch of announced guests join them, which was pretty cool.

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Rick Springfield. I saw him on a bill with Little River Band and Eddie Money. I thought he was a soap opera guy with one hit but he was a very good musician and put on an entertaining show.

9. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Wynonna Judd, just a couple of years ago. She flubbed the words to the first song, and I thought it was going to be a horrible night. But then she put on a great show after that. It's pretty clear that she's been on stage for most of her life. She was a total pro.

Funny story from that show: A guy sitting in the front row bought Wynonna a glass of wine. She asked his name, and he said, "Cody." And then she proceeded to make good-natured fun of him. "Cody. Cody? That sounds like a Bud Light kind of name, not white wine." She finally got him up on stage and asked where he worked. "Here," he said.

Wynonna: "Here in town?"
    Cody: "No. Here in the theater."
    Wynonna: "What do you here at the theater?"
    Cody (after a pause): "I own it."
    Wynonna: "Oh."

Songbird likes this.
  10. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Maroon 5 opened for Barenaked Ladies during a Christmas tour just before "Harder to Breathe" hit the charts. They also played "Sunday Morning," "This Love" and "She Will Be Loved," all charting later the next year. Really amazing to hear those songs live first and then hear them on the radio.

11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Mumford and Sons at Bonnaroo in 2011. That performance was legendary.

12. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Years ago, I took the ex to see Michael Buble. I figured I was just being a good husband, but I walked out impressed with how versatile he was/is.

Draft saved Draft deleted