1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by nietsroob17, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

No spoilers, dammit. I’m on DVR.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  3. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

LOL.

Here’s another one - Jericho again wears a bandana around his neck during a match and his opponent never uses it to choke him.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

Tonight I learned that The Butcher is the rhythm guitarist for a pretty major metalcore band.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  6. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

I think it's just a work, but this is like Jim Rome/"Chris" Everett on steroids.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  7. 2muchcoffeeman

8. nietsroob17

That was what I was thinking -- just had a brain fart while typing.

9. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

HHH should’ve put that on NXT TV.

i had a feeling theyd get trounced this week. First time since Christmas Id say aew actually had the better show too. Feels like NXT hasn’t been trying post-Great American Bash.

Which is fine for a developmental brand and long form stories but an interesting way to try to win a ratings war.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I flipped back and forth. The Cross/Djokovic match was excellent storytelling. Cross looked like he killed (no pun intended) Djokovic with the kicking the ring steps into the head spot.

But overall though, it just looks like AEW is having more fun.

11. nietsroob17

It's clear that the AEW guys are given more freedom to try stuff out. Especially on commentary, you can tell that they're not being fed every last word like Vince and Dunn do, and they're not shoving stuff down our throats (Greatest Wrestling Match Ever, anybody?)

12. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

The full McAfee-Cole (13+ minutes) segment is actually a pretty good piece of business. They start with shade, go to a legitimate interview and then quietly work the shade back in. Cole overdid it a little bit at the end, but I think that's a nod to everyone who mentions how small he looks.

Draft saved Draft deleted