1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Movie Fight Thread: PT Anderson v. Tarantino

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Jul 8, 2020.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's Spielberg. What's interesting is when you take out the genre they are known for. Spielberg's PG-13 kid summer popcorn fare and Scorsese's gritty crime movies.
    Spielberg: Duel, The Color Purple, Schindler's List, Amistad, Saving Private Ryan, Bridge of Spies, Munich, War Horse, The Terminal and Lincoln
    Vs.
    Scorsese: Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore, New York, New York, The Last Temptation of Christ, The Age of Innocence, Aviator, and Hugo. And I'll throw in The Last Waltz.

I still think if King and Zellwegger called in to the same agent - King's call gets taken first.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Spielberg. Better range. Better image-maker.

3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I love a good tracking shot. It’s just the commitment and ability to organize everything.

True Detective drug deal. Fucking awesome.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Spielberg directed Jaws at age 27, adapted from a POS book. Case closed.

5. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Raiders of the Lost Ark

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

He was 25 when he did Duel. Hell, I can't believe that was a Movie of the Week.

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Thematically, E.T. and The Terminal are the same movie, made 20 years apart.

8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

After Hours, my favorite Scorsese movie, would also fit in the non-genre category. Love the Aviator too.

9. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Scorsese also has The Color of Money.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Raging Bull

discuss

11. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Doesn't Robert Altman do a long tracking shot during "The Player" while characters are discussing the long tracking shot in "Touch of Evil"? ... I love "The Player" BTW.

PCLoadLetter and Azrael like this.
  12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

An actor/director tournament would be interesting. Hard to top the peak of Orson Welles, but there's Woody Allen - an admittedly difficult subject at this point to tackle - Clint Eastwood, Robert Redford. Greta Gerwig is early in the process. She's better as a writer/director than actor, IMO.

Draft saved Draft deleted