1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Movie Fight Thread: PT Anderson v. Tarantino

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

She was in '96 lol but my pearl clutching had more to do with the fact she shtupped Louis CK.

You can play a make-believe game Who'd be funny fuck buddies!? ...

... and I'd never think to pair Apple and CK.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Elaborate, sure. Great looking? Not necessarily. Not usually.

The Copa tracking shot is so good because of its meaning, that Karen learns all about Henry's power in the community during the shot, and so do we, and her character (outside the voiceover) asks the most appropriate question a smart person (which she is) would: What do you do?

Goodfellas is way, way up there among the best movies ever made.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Songbird-

I would have liked to see what Fiona Apple might have looked like with about 30 more pounds on her.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

He was very, very wise to leave it out. He left almost all of Orlando Jones' entire character on the cutting room floor of Magnolia, and he was only half-wise there. He left in half of a subplot that didn't make much sense.

5. Songbird

No way. She was perfect right here. But I was 25-26 and thin and tight was right in my wheelhouse.

6. 3_Octave_Fart

Alma, I watched Magnolia with a cynical eye during the early weeks of the pandemic, and I see a lot of holes in it a decade later.

There is too much coked-up shit that gets hatched in the second half of the movie. The first half is superb.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It's very messy. Still like it a lot and I think it desires to be about something significant. And it is much more interesting than most movies produced in this moment.

I am less generous with The Master, a movie that pretty clearly loses its way about 2/3 in. Critics tend to be more generous with it.

8. 3_Octave_Fart

A singalong - I don't care how high you are in the writing room - is the epitome of movie cheese.

He didn't know what to do with half the characters by the end of that movie. That's the problem with an ensemble film.

9. Songbird

Why I walked out of Love, Actually ... dreck.

10. 3_Octave_Fart

I've never walked out of one.
    I've thought about it, though.
    The last time was 300.

My wife tried to get me to walk out of the Nicolas Cage vehicle Knowing. What a Kentucky-fried pile of shit that was.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Our viewing of the craptacular Gulliver's Travels with Jack Black was interrupted by a fire alarm, which was a mercy to the entire audience. Does that count?

My wife and I actually considered it during The Punisher. Oddly enough, Thomas Jane actually wasn't bad in the role, but the script was crap and John Travolta was absolutely horrible as the villain.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Zellwegger.

Here's a question:

Spielberg? Or Scorsese?

Draft saved Draft deleted