1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adaptation to COVID world

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Mar 20, 2020.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Moddy and Deskgrunt's posts reminded me of something this pandemic is doing: Accelerating the isolation of people. Taking a society of "groups" and accelerating its devolution into a society of "individuals."

There are good, health-related reasons why schools, churches and sports have been shut down. We need to stop the spread of the virus, and those three institutions/public events are great ways to spread germs.

But those institutions/public events are three ways people from different backgrounds can come together, even if only for an hour or two, once a week. We haven't done them for four-plus months, and counting. Even if the virus disappeared tomorrow, a lot of people won't be back at school, in church or at sporting/public events for a while, if ever. And we'll be worse off as a society because of it.

Again, not worth the risk to our health as the virus continues to spread rapidly. But still unfortunate.

Deskgrunt50, maumann and PaperDoll like this.
  2. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Bother and double bother. The third wave has hit close to home. Someone in the office tested positive for Covid-19, so our headquarters is closed until further notice. Gyms, restaurants, social gatherings, work -- all out. Almost none of my games on Steam have PvP options, either. If not for leaving the house to get groceries, I'd have no in-person social interaction at all.

I was never that social in the first place, but it feels now like I'm going to go full-on hermit before I even qualify for AARP membership.

OscarMadison, Deskgrunt50 and maumann like this.
  3. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Oy. Hang in there.

4. Deskgrunt50

Subway was no issue for me. It was practically empty. Which is definitely jarring. A few more people on my return trip. But plenty of distance, and everyone wearing masks.

Honestly, the grocery store has more people right now.

Not sure how it works with normal subway crowds. Well, I guess it doesn’t unless this thing is wiped out.

maumann likes this.
  5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

So nobody’s taking advantage of the five … five-dollar … five-dollar footlo-o-o-ong?

7. Deskgrunt50

Why? Why would you put that jingle in my head? That’s just mean.

8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I'm not going to be the mask police when I'm out, not going to question anybody. If I smirk at somebody, they won't be able to see it.
    Yesterday at a sandwich shop, I ordered and stepped aside while they made it. A woman came in with two boys, maybe 10 and 8. The boys were wearing masks, the woman is holding her mask. She walks up to the counter to order, then puts her mask on. I'm thinking, too late, why didn't she have it on already. I got my food and went outside to a table. A few minutes later, they came out and none of them had masks on. WTF???

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Look on the bright side. He could have used "It's a small world after all".

10. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Sorry to read that. Stay safe and hang in there.

Sometimes Humble Bundle has good deals on games and they usually offer them for a good cause. I bought all of the You Don't Know Jack games last year in a fit of nostalgia.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
  11. Deskgrunt50

Let's just add the Kars 4 Kids song and have the trifecta of head-exploding ear worms!

12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

someBODY

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted