1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Updated thread - What TV commercial gets on your nerves?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Yawn, Dec 1, 2006.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Chris Berman on a commercial for CarShield, an extended warranty program. Not especially grating just, you know, Berman.

People like him in ads like these -- such as Tom Selleck for reverse mortgages -- make me wonder if they really need money or if they were offered a buttload of cash.

2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Maybe they pay Berman in leather and Selleck in mustache wax.

playthrough likes this.
  3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

A buddy of mine oversees marketing for a brand you may be quite familiar with if you are unhealthy and over the age of 60. Their marketing is almost exclusively direct-response (think infomercial) on TV, web and email.
    Anyway, he signed a celebrity with equal or maybe more star power than Selleck and Berman and he paid him a handsome flat fee for a few days of filming but the guy also gets about $10 an order, from any marketing channel. And their daily orders are equal to a mid-size country’s gdp. So much so that the celeb told my buddy he’s making more money now than on any of his previous major shows/movies.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

If I ever get the chance to meet Lily from the AT&T commercial, I'm going to take her coffee mug, brain her with it, then smash it into pieces on the floor.

5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Slow down, Chef. Real life Lily is quite fetching

[​IMG]

Vombatus likes this.
  6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Well then.
    I have a whole new respect for ATiTs then.

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I have a question for the group. Am I the only one a little weirded out by the kid in the Sonic commercial bragging they he's known as the "chug master" at school because he's such a good chugger?

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Postmates commercial where they repeat pad Thai or other food products over and over. Makes we want to puke, not order food.

9. HC

HC Well-Known Member

William Shatner's ad for "So Clean" that starts with "You might not know this about me, but years ago I was diagnosed with a sleep disorder". Why the fuck would I know that??

TigerVols and MTM like this.
  10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I hate to admit it, but the Idina Menzel Geico commercial that used to irritate the heck out of me is growing on me. "I read that wrong, oh yeah."

11. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

I mean, I know it.

12. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

We laugh, on the set, at that every damn time it comes up in a commercial break. Usually once every 2 weeks.

Draft saved Draft deleted