1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose open-wheel (F1, IRL) racing thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by crimsonace, Feb 19, 2007.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

My wife says I need to take a sip every time I yell, "Shut up, Paul!" at the television. Heck, I'd be passed out by the invocation. (Hmmm, maybe she's trying to tell me something.)

Huggy likes this.
  2. maumann

Race 2 was better from a competition standpoint but not as exciting. Newgarden had the best car and nobody was able to really fend him off with pit strategy. Plus the cautions fell at the perfect times for him, and ruined the night for the Arrows McLaren guys -- although O'Ward had his chances killed by a horrible pit stop under green. Good run for Conor Daly. Andretti's team continues to be hexed (which probably means they'll finish 1-5 in the 500).

Now things get weird. Unlike their deal with NASCAR, NBC's contract basically only pays for the 500, so any other races on the schedule will certainly have to have a paying crowd to even cover their losses. And Indiana is nowhere close to allowing large crowds with that August race date looming. Mid-America is probably still OK but IF they can even run the 500 this year, that could be all she wrote for 2020.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Ferrari’s problems are exclusively due to its engineers and designers. They should probably work on the mediocre F1 cars before they try to become an engine provider to IndyCar.

maumann likes this.
  4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The Ferraris are dogshit this year. It's been fun seeing guys like Norris, Ocon, Perez, even Gasly, finishing ahead of the red cars. I'm rooting for Albon to take a podium here soon.

Ferrari could legitimately finish behind Mercedes, Red Bull, McLaren and Racing Point this season.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

And the great thing about Ferrari is they'll fire everyone by the end of the season, bring in a new staff, start all over again and wonder why they're not getting better.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Being in Indy, I'm astonished that the Indy 500 is in 35 days. Just so reckless.

Neutral Corner and maumann like this.
  7. maumann

They do have the option to punt to October, but who says it's not going to be even worse? The race was interrupted by two world wars. I think I can survive missing 2020 if I'm still alive to see it next May.

Neutral Corner, wicked and Driftwood like this.
  8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Even Lance Stroll, who had spent his previous seasons driving around on Sunday and wasting daddy's money has been competitive.

Sky Sports continued to speculate on where Vettel will land next season with the target allegedly being Racing Point. Stroll isn't going anywhere as long as the old man is writing checks and Perez is ahead of both Ferrari drivers in points and I believe he brings in a fair bit of sponsorship money from Mexico. Maye Seb ends up on the outside looking in.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
  9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I was surprised that they didn't go ahead and take their October dates just to buy some time, even though you're right about the future being unclear. August in Central Indiana -- and on metal bleachers -- is so miserable that IMS begged Nascar to get the Brickyard moved a couple years ago, yet now it's OK for the 500. Even without a pandemic, that sounds rough.

maumann likes this.
  10. maumann

The only time I was a fan at the Brickyard was for the inaugural race, which was unseasonably mild (and we had seats under the overhang at the bricks). Every other time I've been there has been in the media center, but boy, it's been hot and sticky. Chevrolet used to put on a media golf tournament at Brickyard Crossing, and we were always bushed at the end, even with golf carts.

I've been there in May when it's been 52, 72, 82 and also 92. And pouring rain most of the time. But August is no fun in Indianapolis in the summertime, despite the catchy 1960s song.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I keep seeing people acting like Seb is still a top driver and I don't get it. The number of unforced errors is absurd. Put any pressure on him at all and he will end up facing the wrong way within two laps.

Ferrari dumped him and Mercedes, McLaren, Red Bull and Renault all had potential spots for him and passed.

I think I'd rather have Perez and Stroll.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Sky Sports is among the guiltiest pf parties, shilling endlessly for him to have a spot on the grid next year.

Draft saved Draft deleted