1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I enjoyed Palm Springs on Hulu. It has a definite Groundhog Day feel to it.

JK Simmons, as usual, was outstanding in a small role.

Severian and garrow like this.
  2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Greyhound, and it's excellent.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I haven't gotten around ot it yet, but I will probably watch The Old Guard tonight or tomorrow.

Mngwa brought up Artemis Fowl. A close friend of mine and her 13-year-old really liked it, but so far their comments were the only positive ones I've heard.

4. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Simmons is an underrated, national treasure.

swingline likes this.
  5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Completely agree with this. I've also found some really great TV shows and they just lose something if you watch them dubbed. My latest obsession "Bordertown" just won't let me go. Ville Virtanen may be one of my all time favourite actors - and he speaks Finnish, Swedish AND English. Can Tom Cruise do that? ;)

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Somehow found myself down a rabbit hole that led to this 10-minute gem.

7. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Watched Suburra: Blood on Rome during the spring. Couldn't make it 10 minutes dubbed. It was almost cartoonish, like the WNEW kung fu cinema classics from my youth. Hearing the Italian makes it completely engrossing.

HC likes this.
  8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I keep seeing ads for this popping up..... may have to watch it.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

A Facebook reference to Boyz N The Hood led me to watch Ricky's death scene, which led me to this -- the life story of Lloyd Avery II, the actor who played the guy who shot Ricky.
    Ho. Lee. Shit.
    This video is 10 minutes, so here's the short version: Avery grew up in a good family in Beverly Hills; got a string of small roles in the early 90s "Hood Film" genre and showed some promise as an actor; got frustrated when his career stalled and willingly moved to a dangerous part of L.A., where he basically joined the Bloods; lived the gangster life for a while and became more and more unstable; eventually got arrested for and convicted of murder; became a born again Christian in prison, buuuuttt got stuck with a cellmate who was a Satan worshiper; got into a fight to the death with the cellmate over religion, which he lost; the cellmate then hid Avery's body in the cell for almost a week, and it was finally discovered when he performed a Satanic ritual with the decomposing corpse.
    That's quite a ride.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Check out the two seasons and done "Counterpart" - it was on Starz a couple years back. Simmons has never been better.

Severian likes this.
  11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

lol let's hear Vin tell THAT story.

swingline and Batman like this.
  12. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

I've never heard of this show. The premise sounds awesome. Thanks for the recommendation!

Draft saved Draft deleted