1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

13 days, 22 murders

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

See what happens when you take the guns away from law-abiding citizens.

[​IMG]

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

If Trumpists are so agitated, maybe they’ll consider sensible gun control.
    Or not.
    Mizzurah politicians are more likely to hate the “crisis actors” of Sandy Hook than they are to rein in Our Second Amendment.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Given the undeniable psychological stress created by the virus and the lockdowns AND the number of firearms in the US, a spike in murders seems sadly predictable, especially in a place like St. Louis in the summer. I remember a line in an Ed McBain novel, "in the winter, all the firefighters wish they'd become cops and in the summer all the cops wish they'd become firefighters."

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

They didn’t abide by the law.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Being a policeman is hard, says policeman.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Being a policeman in a city is REALLY hard. ... at a time when a lot of activities have been shut down due to a pandemic, there is a lot of social strife that has come to head, and the real unemployment rate (not the BLS nonsense) has to be at least in the 20 to 30 percent range, and among minorities is twice that (as the gap in unemployment between whites and blacks is widening).

The one thing about being a cop in St. Louis right now. ... wiht all the stresses that particular job brings. ... it's an actual job. ... with pay, and with pretty good benefits relative to a lot of other things.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Being a policeman is hard.

My comment was about the one-sidedness of the story.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. The Big Ragu

I should have been less opaque, too.

The narrative -- at least if you read the NY Post right now -- is that everyone is against cops, and because they are getting no backing from politicians, and cops aren't being allowed to somehow effectively stop crime, murders and other crime have suddenly surged .... because the cops have been made toothless and aren't being allowed to do their job (causing morale problems).

My comment was about the fact that whenever economic hardship hits inner cities even worse than it already had, the murder and overall crime rates, take off. In this case, a lot changed very quickly, which is why it has created turmoil and a lot of horrifying stories about murder after murder in socioeconomically disadvantaged areas in major cities.

"Law and order" isn't going to be an effective answer to that. ... as long as the unemployment rate in those neighborhoods is hovering around 50 percent (the real number), racial strife is the worst it has been in decades, and people are feeling a ton of uncertainty due to the virus spread.

lakefront likes this.
  10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Well, I think it’s at least a little true that cops are getting shit on more than usual.

11. The Big Ragu

And we're back to. ... being a cop is a hard job. Presumably anyone who signs up for it knows what they signed up for in the early days of training.

It's also no surprise that the job gets even more stressful and dangerous when unemployment soars, racial strife is the worst it has been in decades, and a viral pandemic has people on edge.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Right, but you called it a narrative. That’s your dog whistle for “I don’t believe it.”

Draft saved Draft deleted