1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Movie Fight Thread: PT Anderson v. Tarantino

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Jul 8, 2020.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Any Given Sunday was so terrible - salvaged only by Pacino's locker room speech and LT being LT.

Iron_chet likes this.
  2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Aaron Eckhart’s character had a perfect name for an arrogant offensive coordinator: Nick Crozier.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Requiem for a Dream sustains.

Wall Street does because it’s a near-perfect time capsule. (Especially the closing credits song.)

Tarantino will because of the first half of his career, through Kill Bill, which was self referential and cheeky but enough of a departure from what came before to work.

Everything since is QT thinking he’s the funniest, cleverest guy in the room. There are scenes in his last four movies that stun me for their stupidity. I’m pretty sure, in the midst of Once Upon a Time, there’s a flash-sideways, Andy Farmer style.

Iron_chet and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

That’s interesting.

He’s certainly done good writers justice.

I’ve gone back and forth over the years on Trainspotting, mostly over its treatment of women. The Kelly Macdonald character isn’t much of one.

6. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

a like for the Funny Farm movie. Maybe because of HBO, Chevy Chase made a bunch of box office duds that became extremely quotable by Gen Xers.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Kill Bill and sequel don't do much.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

New Fight - Better/more successful career Kevin Costner or Harrison Ford?

Ford has the franchises with Indiana Jones and Star Wars, Costner has two Oscars and an Emmy. Costner has about $20 m on Ford in terms of net worth.

PS - how do you edit the thread title?

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

go back to your opening post and click edit. maybe.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

So many things can contribute to net worth that are beyond the actor's control. As much as I like Costner's work, I have to go with Ford and I have to admit that I am very biased.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Costner, if for no other reason than his homes on Loon Point Beach near Montecito are my favorite in all of California.

12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Wrong Anderson, but the fight scene in "Event Horizon" had to be cut to avoid an X rating.

Draft saved Draft deleted