1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hawley and Woj

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Jul 10, 2020.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

This. ^

Growing up, Missouri was a bruise color state with Democratic and Republican governors and senators. Danforth was a statesman and a gentleman. Bond wasn't my cup of tea, but he brought home the pork.

Ashcroft was the vanguard of the red tide, and it's been getting redder ever since with Democrats reduced to irrelevance in the state legislature. Greitens whole campaign was, *Navy SEAL, outsider.* That's it. Hawley, with his fake aw shucks manner, ran against McCaskill because Todd Akin and "legitimate rape" put her in the seat.

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I've been playing that game for 30 years.

I had a guy in college ask me about it one time, said he knew it was me because of the schoolboy cursive.

lakefront likes this.
  3. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

This is an injustice!

Mr. Woj should join Sportsjournalist.com, where free speech is encouraged without suspensions by such moderators as Mr. Friedman!

I am not trying to be argumentative.

Elliotte Friedman likes this.
  4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

This is a very bad point.

5. As The Crow Flies

As The Crow Flies Active Member

If I ran ESPN, I might let Woj slide without punishment if Hawley said something legitimately crazy or racist.

The problem is Hawley's criticism (even though he's obviously grandstanding) isn't crazy. There have been many people, including Elizabeth Warren, who have criticized the NBA for being too cozy with China. The NBA has acknowledged it's in a delicate spot. Woj comes across as being unhinged since this somewhat benign statement triggered him so badly. We all have bad moments, but this one was particularly stupid.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Woj didn’t get baited into anything. It was a press release.

Lionizing his two word response is what passes for intellectual thought right now on the left.

Songbird likes this.
  7. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Fuck you.

8. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

Perhaps. But Woj isn't writing for the NBA. He's writing for the readers, and this makes him look like he's in the bag for the NBA. I'm not saying he is, but the optics are bad. And no one can dispute it's unprofessional.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

exactly

10. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Excellent post!

I'm no longer a moderator. I've asked to be stripped of my massive power, but it hasn't happened yet.

Dog8Cats and Jerry-atric like this.
  11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

McCaskill is a former senator who offers insight into the way that chamber has been game-theoried for the last decade or so.

Would you rather her or Michael Schmidt offering commentary? The latter has completely vanished, btw ... must be working on a book.

Donny in his element likes this.
  12. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted