1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will COVID-19 be the needle that finally bursts the sports bubble?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I think it depends on where you are. In March/April/May when things were really bad in my area, I didn’t think about sports much at all. As we got it under control and some things start to reopen? Sure. I’d like to watch baseball and the NBA.

My guess is places that are currently getting hit hard have a lot of people who felt like I did a few months ago.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I can already see some of the first few sidebars and columns about oh, how sports is our saving grace!

BASW '22: Oh Sports, We Can't Quit You!

lol

Here's a golden oldie:

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Haven't missed pro sports as much as I thought I would. But if there's no football in the fall, I'll definitely miss it.

Still, with the rate the virus is spreading among young people, pulling the plug on high school and college football this fall appears to be the right call to make — unless things improve drastically.

And that would hit home for me: My son's NAIA team probably won't play, and he's just about done with his degree. Would have been a redshirt junior this year, probably looking to play one more season and graduate in December 2021.

A lot of his teammates — and college athletes in all the fall sports — could be done playing due to the pandemic. Not the way they want to end their sports careers.

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

People will definitely miss sports. But if the willful inaction of Trump and his klan compel renewed restrictions — even Abbott in Texas is admitting that possibility— people will have more to worry about than a lack of SEC football. It didn’t have to be this way.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

IF there's college football: P-5 only. No way FCS, D2, D3, NAIA are playing. Mostly starting with the fact they can't afford the testing.

6. tapintoamerica

That's the key. If you can't afford to test and provide the same safeguards as the Power 5 teams you intend to play, that sucks for you. It also means you don't have an ethical argument when the big boys cancel on you.

7. tapintoamerica

I'm starting to wonder about college basketball.
    At least in Power 5 football, I think most teams will be equipped with specialized helmets that include shields over the nose and mouth to mitigate the spread of the droplets we've heard so much about. Basketball players don't wear helmets. They can't wear masks. They're in close contact with others for long periods of time. Just sounds very problematic.
    The NBA's going first, of course. If it fails and has to shut down, the college game will be justifiably freaked out.

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

It’s one thing to put 22 teams in a bubble. It’s quite another to do the same with 351. If college basketball does happen, it’s only because the decision was made to go ahead and screw anyone who gets it.

9. MileHigh

What are the protocols for that $1 million winner-take-all event running on ESPN?

10. This seems optimistic on the Jaguars' part.

The way things are going, I have trouble picturing fans being able to attend anything through the end of 2020. MLB's 2021 opener? OK, hopefully.

11. tapintoamerica

MileHigh likes this.
  12. MileHigh

I believe that is their normal sellout.

Draft saved Draft deleted