1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adaptation to COVID world

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The gears of the economy must be greased with the blood of the dead.

2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Can't we just grease them with ... grease? Or at least WD40.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

People going to 30-person birthday parties and singing in 20-person choirs aren't greasing the economy. And Karen shopping in Hobby Lobby isn't the cause of outbreaks.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Adaption ... I'm wide awake and I know I have a project that needs to be done by 11 tomorrow. My WFH "shift" is 8:30-5, but fuck it, I'm going to sip on bourbon and finish it tonight because I couldn't sleep if I tried and I'll probably knock it out faster now than I would if I tried to slog through it dead tired in the morning. Wheeee.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I just had another reminder that people are really stressed right now.

I had a doctor's appointment today. They asked me to call from the parking lot and they would tell me when I could come in. As I was trying to get someone on the phone, the woman getting into the car next to mine hit my car with her door. It happens. I didn't even think much of it. Then I heard a louder thump. She did it again. I felt like I had to say something at that point. I rolled down my window and asked her to please stop hitting my car with her door.

She lost it. She started screaming at me, flipping me off and cursing. "I have a baby with me. How dare you!" I'm aware that getting loaded into a car with a baby can be a process, but her baby seat was on the passenger side (where it should be). She was just being careless, which happens. I'm not sure why I'm the bad guy for asking her to stop. Maybe she's a lunatic. Maybe she's just stressed like we all are. Maybe it was a bit of both.

At that point, she asked how many times she had hit my car. I told her twice. She started cursing at me again. At this point, I cursed back, then rolled up my window and went back to trying to get the attention of someone in the doctor's office so I could get to my appointment. I saw the woman stop a guy who was passing by in the parking lot, point at me, and yell something. I guess she wanted him to defend her? I have no idea. He just looked at her like she was nuts and went on about his day.

I finally got a person to answer the phone and they told me to come in. At this point, I was worried that the woman was going to do something to my car, so I decided to wait another minute or two for her to leave. I looked down at my phone and heard a car horn next to me. She was finally ready to go, but had to get my attention to flip me off and curse at me some more.

I'm not going to lie and say I was the picture of calm the entire time this idiot was yelling at me, but damn.

OscarMadison and maumann like this.
  6. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

We are all about to lose our shit. Sounds like you handled it pretty well under the circumstances, @outofplace.

OscarMadison and outofplace like this.
  7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

FFS @outofplace, hasn't this thread taught you anything...you gotta film these wackos!

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Hell, I thought she was going to start shooting video or taking pictures of me. She shouted some kind of threat. I think she said she was going to call the police, but by then I had closed my window, so I really couldn't tell what she was ranting about.

In hindsight, I regret yelling back and cursing. It just served no purpose. Like I said, maybe she's an asshole all the time, but just as likely the situation just had her ready to boil over and I just happened to be in the way when it happened.

I mentioned what happened to my doctor and he told me they heard the yelling in the office, so she really was loud.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    maumann and TigerVols like this.
  9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I too am not a bit tamed—I too am untranslatable;
    I sound my barbaric yawp over the roofs of the world.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Went into the city last night for the first time since March 6. Good to feel "normal" again for a brief period. Met a dear friend for a great dinner and it was so much food each of us will be able to have leftovers tonight. Plus she surprised me with dessert from one of my favorite joints.

Bus ride over - four people on bus. It is usually standing room on Saturdays.
    Walked a lot in the city, pretty eerie as it was nowhere near as jammed as usual. Well, the old usual.
    Walked by Foley's and it was jarring to see it packed up and closed. Got sad all over again.
    Two subway rides. Trains were very clean and almost empty.
    Bus ride home - six people on bus. Usually standing room.

Almost everyone we encountered had on a mask, probably 99.5 percent of the people we saw.

In the good ol' days, I'd get into the city at least once a week. Not sure I'll go back to that but I won't wait 4 1/2 months before I go again.

12. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Going on the subway tomorrow for the first time since March. Not particularly worried about it with proper precautions.

I might feel differently if it’s more crowded than I expect.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
    maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted