1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Take care of yourself

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny_Dangerously, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Another week, another 70 miles walked, 1170 miles walked since 1/1/20.

Still a good song.

HC, I Should Coco and maumann like this.
  2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Good work with the exercising, songbird.

And I always liked "Don't Talk to Strangers" much more than "Jessi's Girl." Don't know why the latter is played on "1980s" radio formats so much more than the former.

3. Songbird

Thanks. Think I'm pushing it with the 10 miles a day. My feet are sore.

4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I'm doing 2.5 kms every morning and have shortened my time from 45 to 30 minutes to cover that distance. Still wearing the hinged brace but getting there!

5. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I have bad news and good news.

The bad news: I have prostate cancer.
    The good news: I have prostate cancer.

My PSA levels have been elevating for the past 24 months, so my PCP referred me to a urologist, who did a biopsy this month. Got the results last week and had the consultation this morning.

Obviously, any cancer sucks. But the silver lining here is that it's the slowest growing and easiest cancer to keep track of. Mine is a 6 on the Gleason scale and Level I. And my PSA is still only 5.4 (up from 2.8 two years ago). He found only traces of abnormal cells in two of the 12 samples. So for now, it's a watch and wait situation, which is basically what we've been doing all along because I'm genetically predisposed (my father had his removed 25 years ago).

So no surgery, no radiation, no chemo. Which is awesome, since I've been doing research on my options and didn't expect that to be the case. Just a pain in my butt.

Songbird likes this.
  6. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Fuck cancer. Hope you have the best outcome.

maumann and ChrisLong like this.
  7. HC

HC Well-Known Member

If it makes any difference, every man I know who was diagnosed with prostate cancer is absolutely fine and they didn't catch it as early as yours. Good luck!

I Should Coco, ChrisLong and maumann like this.
  8. Songbird

Another week, another 63 miles walked for a total of 1,233 miles since 1/1/20.

maumann, HC and Matt1735 like this.
  9. Songbird

Another week, another 70 miles walking for a total of 1,303 miles walked since 1/1/20.

HC likes this.
  10. Songbird

Just finished back 4 of today's 10 miles and the local boys of summer were getting their swings in.

Beautiful backdrop too with the mountain and battle monument.

[​IMG]

HC likes this.
  11. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Went for my usual morning walk (about 2.5 km) and for the first time since March 31 I wasn't wearing a cast or a brace. I'll be tap dancing any day now! LOL

ChrisLong, Mngwa and Songbird like this.
  12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Whatever you do, keep track of those numbers, and if they go up, opt for prostate-removal surgery and just take care of the problem.

You're right about your situation being both bad and good. If you have to have cancer, prostate cancer is one of the better ones -- slow-moving, easier to battle, and you can go on for a long time even if it gets worse.

My dad's PSA was 64 -- 64! -- when he was diagnosed (only because he ignored his doctor's advice a year or two earlier to see a urologist when his number was at a still possibly curable 8, if I recall), so he was already deep into Stage 4, right from the start. Despite that, he lived 11 more years after the diagnosis. He also only started feeling it and we only started really noticing the illness over the last year-and-a-half to two years.

One of my brothers was diagnosed with prostate cancer a couple of years ago. He took note and made sure not to do what our father did -- instead getting his prostate removed right away -- and he is now doing well.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted