1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

The credits for that show are crazy. According to IMDB, here are some members of the writing staff - Louis CK, Stephen Colbert, Dana Carvey, Jon Glaser, Charlie Kaufman, Robert Smigel, Dino Stamatopoulous, Bob Odenkirk and Greg Daniels. But, didn't they lead with the episode that has Carvey as Clinton breastfeeding a baby or something?

2. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Yeah, actually they had him with multiples nipples (like a cow) saying he would breastfeed the country or something like that. I barely remember watching part of the pilot episode and never bothered to watch it again. In retrospect, the talent on that show, as displayed above, was insane, but I just thought Carvey and the writers were just hell-bent on being incredibly outrageous, rather than just, you know, funny.

sgreenwell likes this.
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Also watched the documentary on the Carvey Show - sometimes comedians do need "editors" - but that show just seemed doomed as soon as the ink was dry on the contracts. Disney bought ABC, the lead into the debut ep was a "very special episode" of Home Improvement where one of the kids may have had cancer "Followed by The Taco Bell Dana Carvey Show!" The Clinton nipple thing was an odd choice - doing a Clinton/Bob Dole thing would have worked better

4. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I can see this happening.
    I would have liked it if they showed the police chief getting squeezed, and Cardinelli getting back together with her cop boyfriend. I hate it when they wreck brand-new cars. And too bad Applegate got old -- some of those facial super-closeups are cringeworthy.
    Oh well, it was a fairly enjoyable show.

5. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Just finished my second go around of Picard. I think I liked it even more this time.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I convinced my wife to watch it and I don't know if it was the deep Star Trek questions she was asking me (she has only seen a sporadic few episodes of different series over the years) or the fact I understood the end game, but I really got more out of it on a second viewing. I was luke warm on it the first time, but it was fantastic on the second go around.

Mngwa likes this.
  7. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Has anyone watched "I Think You Should Leave Now" on Netflix? Sketch comedy on Netflix. Easy watching, definitely some misses but some really solid bits. Only 6 25 minute episodes.

8. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Titans is pretty damn good. Being a comic book nerd helps.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I've never seen it and won't because I'm not paying for another streaming service, but I thought comic book nerds hated that show for the fucked-up depictions of characters from the comics.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I only watched it the one time, but I really enjoyed it. I guess the idea of the free trial was to get people hooked and hope they would pay for CBS All-Access. In my case, it just made me more pissed off that the show is only available there because I won't see any future seasons. I'm even more annoyed by that than I was by The Orville moving to Hulu. Bastards.

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I loved the Orville and am just as furious it is on Hulu. It was a better Star Trek show than Discovery.

I pulled the trigger on CBS All Access when Discovery first came out. I've jumped in to watch a couple other shows as a result. But I'm a nerd like that.

12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I agree with regard to all the streaming lately, of shows that would have an audience and do well on regular TV, that are just not offered there. I signed up for CBS All-Access in order to binge-watch Star Trek: Picard, and have gone on to start watching Star Trek: Discovery. But I'm getting through it as quickly as I can and will be cancelling as soon as I'm done with it. I'm so annoyed that this stuff is not on regular TV -- that I also pay for -- that I doubt I'll be signing up again, almost no matter what is offered.

Draft saved Draft deleted