1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penn State football beat reporter | Centre Daily Times (State College, PA)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by MiamiBoy, Jul 5, 2020.

1. MiamiBoy

MiamiBoy Active Member

Centre Daily Times is looking for a great Reporter 2 E.

The Centre Daily Times and its parent company, McClatchy, are looking for an ambitious, motivated and digital savvy reporter to cover the Penn State football beat. This reporter will focus on all things related to Penn State football -- breaking news, recruiting, in-depth feature stories and player profiles and behind-the-scenes stories from Beaver Stadium.

The reporter will use social media, Google trends and other tools to identify, write and/or aggregate stories that appeal to a wide audience.

This reporter will deliver quick-turn stories about what’s trending or about to trend with Penn State football and also produce enterprise stories that engage fans. Live coverage of games should be expected.

This job requires the ability to write for digital and print platforms in a way that resonates with our audience. Using tools such as analytics and social media, it’s imperative that this reporter connects with the local community and understands what it means to deliver the news that is essential.

Core competencies:

• Strong writing skills and excellent news judgment.
    • A strong entrepreneurial spirit, deep curiosity and extremely high energy.
    • An interest in telling stories using a variety of media, and an enthusiasm for learning new skills and technologies.
    • Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as a team.
    • Comfort with a job that will be demanding, fast-paced and constantly evolving.
    • A good grasp of what drives interest on Facebook, Twitter and other social media platforms and tools used to surface story ideas
    • The ability to build a vast pool of sources
    Requirements:

• Commitment to accurate, ethical journalism.
    • Ability to verify the authenticity of information, sources, photos and video found through social media.
    • Work with editors to assure that stories are complete, fair and in context.
    • Use audience metrics to determine which stories are resonating with readers and which are not.
    • Produce basic photos and videos as needed, and work with visuals staff while planning for stories.

2. Brandon Biskobing

Brandon Biskobing New Member

Where can I apply for this?

3. Journo27

Journo27 New Member

Follow the hyperlink at the top of the post

Writer likes this.
  4. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

The lack of attention to detail and observational skills by some job seekers is dumbfounding.

5. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Don't think they teach that in J school anymore ... it's now all about Tweeting and selfies ... :D

Antwan Staley likes this.
  6. MiamiBoy

MiamiBoy Active Member

I mean, someone out of J school did just get a solid job. Must be top tier selfies.

7. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

most frequent question I get from college journalism kids now is “How can I write for Barstool”. Wish I was kidding.

8. SportsGuyBCK

Considering its a McClatchy paper, their HR staff probably said, "Hey, they just graduated, so they'll take any amount of $$$ we'll offer!" :D

9. SportsGuyBCK

Just tell them, "Just use a lot of offensive terms in your copy ..." :D

10. They'll also be expected to be a lapdog for the PSU athletic department.

11. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Score, quarterback, pass, run, throw, slant, quick hitch, shoot, sprint...

12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Appropos of nothing, the county seat of Centre County is Bellefonte, whose high school football team rode a train to Texas to play a football game in my old town in 1924 or so and got shellacked.

Draft saved Draft deleted