1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

There are 67 counties in Florida. Each is its own school district. I'm guessing attorneys for more than half of those districts are already planning to file injunctions in the morning if he hands down an executive order. The governor can demand all he wants, but he has no actual power to enforce what is a local county-by-county decision.

He's Phillip Bluster. All mouth, no roar. The dude honestly could not govern a one-car parade.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say he has no power. The state can withhold funding for districts that don't comply. That said, I think you are correct about districts filing injunctions.

This should not be a surprise to everybody. Florida released its plan for re-opening schools in August weeks ago. This is just a more strongly-worded directive.

maumann likes this.
  3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Trumpists like to pass off tough decisions to the lower political entities ... until they don’t. That’s been a common theme.

lakefront and maumann like this.
  4. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Harvard, on the other hand, will be requiring most students to learn remotely this fall. At full tuition.

5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Relatively few Harvard students (or students at any other "elite" school) pay full tuition. That's pretty much reserved for select foreign students (China prince and princesslings) and children of major donors and legacies. Fun fact: 75 percent of white students admitted to Harvard last year were either athletes, legacies, or donor children.

britwrit likes this.
  7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

maumann likes this.
  8. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    (but if you do, please come back)

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Have at it, boys (and girls) as a pandemic strategy

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Well, the Bulldogs need to play.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

"Our helmets have face masks. What's the problem?"

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

State Fair of Texas is cancelled - no word on OU-Texas yet.

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted