1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Do I have to change the name of my American Eskimo dog? It already was changed from German Spitz after WWI.

Fred siegle likes this.
  3. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

RE: Florida State...

When the Florida State College for Women became coed after WWII, the newly christened FSU nickname “Seminoles” was chosen by the students — “Statesmen” was second — because of their history as an unconquered tribe. The early depictions, as you’d guess, were stereotypical. Plains Indians feathered headdresses, for example.

The school has a longstanding relationship with the Seminole Tribe of Florida — which has a lot of say in the branding and insignia via Nike and in Chief Osceola’s symbolism and attire — Osceola’s father was actually white and that’s why a non-Seminole student is often okayed as Osceola — which has kind of sheltered it from most of the criticism and why the NCAA backed down in the early 2000s when it focused on the Fighting Sioux and Chief Illinewek.

The Seminole Tribe of Oklahoma, if I recall correctly, are indifferent, except for a sub-group who came out against it. The two Tribes aren’t simpatico — the one in Florida is much more prominent and affluent.

As an alum, I avoid apparel with the Seminole head logo, though that’s become harder since the 2014 rebrand.

And if the Tribe ever rescinded its support, I’d have no qualms with a name change. It seems that’s the majority opinion, even from the message board fans.

Given its history as a liberal-arts-centric women’s college just a couple of generations ago and “Berkeley of the South” cred from the 60s, FSU is more progressive and less influenced by generational white wealth and the Greek system than its peer southern flagship universities.

OscarMadison and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

FWIW, I have a co-worker who is native, and her husband is the chairman of the local tribe. She was wearing a Redskins face covering and when I asked her about it she just shrugged and said the name doesn't bother her.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

"Indians" and "Braves" and "Chiefs", and the various tribal names, I can see as well-intentioned, if maybe patronizing and insensitive attempts at paying tribute.

I'm sorry, but "Redskins" is just a flat-out racial slur.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

They can remain the Seminoles. They can keep the logo, Chief Ocseola, all of it.

Just stop the chop. Even if the tribe is okay with it, the optics of a mostly white crowd mimicking native Americans is just weird.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

... but how many orthopedists will be out of work? (Sorry, Donny ... )

And what will the band play? (Again, Donny ... )

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I’m shocked shots weren’t fired.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

False flagging. The boogaloo bois are big fans of white supremacy.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

'The Chop' might even be more dated than The Wave.

I don't have a problem with Osceola - but I'm white and acknowledge a blind spot

11. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Boogaloo is an old slur for a black.

12. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

I thought it originated as a slur toward Paul McCartney?

Draft saved Draft deleted