1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 NFL Off-season

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Dec 30, 2019.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

FedEx has put it out there. Anybody who might want to step in and replace them if they want to get out -- FedEx has five years to run on its arrangement -- will have to suffer the backlash consequences.
    I'm loving the thought of Trumpist angst over this.

HanSenSE likes this.
  2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Something good may have come out of the virus.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I've not verified it, but a guy on ESPN was just saying there is no Washington gear on the Nike site. All the other teams are available.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I responded to this on the racism thread, too. This sounds like Snyder trying to buy time and perhaps hoping this will all blow over. I don't think it will, but does anybody trust Snyder to get it right?

If he was really ready to make the change, that would have been the announcement. The thorough review sure sounds like something that might take a while.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Has the franchise ever done anything "positive" toward Native Americans - established scholarships, done a week to promote Native American culture? Etc. I think Snyder did find some local tribe elders to "sign off" on the nickname during the last go round on this. But, I do think it would be a good move to develop a positive NA relationship/effort to try and offset the damage done by the offensive name - regardless of what they end up with.

7. outofplace

Doing something like that would be an acknowledgement that the name is offensive.

I heard a terrible argument the other way today. Some doofus on the radio brought up people defending the name due to tradition. He said that the franchise's tradition under Snyder's ownership is losing, why won't they move away from a tradition of losing. It's not as if this is the Gibbs era. The stupidity of that argument made my head hurt. History didn't begin 20 years ago. More importantly, the name is a tie to the Gibbs era and what came before, not the ugliness of Snyder's ownership.

The name should be changed. It should have been changed a long time ago. It is one of the many things I hate about that franchise, a hatred that began when I lived in the area for four years. There are very good reasons to change it. Making up stupid arguments just helps the people defending the name by giving them ammunition.

To be clear, only the first line of my posts is a response to what Dan wrote. The rest was me going off on a tangent.

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

My favorite is Snyder's Original Americans Fund, which easily becomes an acronym meaning "a stupid, uncultured or clumsy person."

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The "thorough review" is that everyone in the NFL wants the name changed and Snyder doesn't and this is time for more pressure to be brought to bear. Losing a naming rights sponsor is a pretty severe blow to the bottom line, especially since no other company will want to replace FedEx. We'll see if the league has other squeeze plays it can run on Danny.

DanielSimpsonDay likes this.
  10. outofplace

They didn't lose FedEx and it seems like they won't.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Should have made my tenses more conditional. They COULD lose FedEx as a sponsor. I don't think the sponsors sent that letter expecting to get a brushoff. Snyder also wants a new stadium in DC and the city's made it clear the name goes or the franchise will never set foot in any stadium built on the site of old RFK.

12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Ah, the good ole daze

Draft saved Draft deleted