1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tucker Carlson...how in the heck did this guy happen?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Jul 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Has the most-watched cable-news show in TV history.

And the most-watched cable news show ever is … - Poynter

He does not tweet with any regularity and his monologues (largely unseen by me) stretch on for...a long time.

Some of this is just how Fox News works - you could put a seal in a MAGA hat on at 8 and get 2 million viewers. But if one remembers the sheer amount of attention and heat Bill O'Reilly used to get...I wouldn't have thought the guy who got dunked on by Jon Stewart was in that ballpark.

But he's in that ballpark.

2. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

He's one of the most intelligent commenters on television (not to mention one of the bravest).

And in the orbit of Fox News/CNN/MSNBC talking heads, he's probably the least partisan (in the sense of not blindly supporting or supporting something based on affiliation with a political party).

The fact that he largely ignores social media is further evidence that there's a whole 'nother world out there not inhabited by the 2 percent who use Twitter on a regular basis.

Outtahere likes this.
  3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The Deplorables seem extra-impressed by him lately. I always gave him a little credit for putting Russian expert Stephen Cohen on semi-regularly when the other networks simply didn't want to hear what he had to say during the Trump-Russia brouhaha.

4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

AHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAH ... *takes deep breath* AHAHAHAAHAHAHAH ... *another deep breath* ... *wait, that wasn't enough* ... *can't breathe* ... ded

5. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

I rarely ever listen to a Tucker Carlson clip, but when I do, it's so outrageous it's hard to believe that anybody anywhere puts it on the air.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'll say this: One of the few clips I've ever seen involved Max Boot, who I regard as a foreign policy clown, and I didn't mind Tucker Carlson getting in a snoot-fest with him.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've never doubted that Carlson is a bright guy - knows how to reverse-engineer an argument to get the conclusion he wants, he also knows how to keep his head afloat having received paychecks from CNN, FOX and MSNBC and attends the right cocktail parties, ditched the bowties to appeal to Trumpers, - but hearing about a guy who went to boarding schools all his life, talk about "real Americans" (who aren't heirs to a frozen food fortune) is a bit much.

8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Tucker Carlson is who semi-intelligent GOPers watch when they can't bring themselves to watch Hannity.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

He's been on an anti-Duke tear for a few weeks lol.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I agree with this.

And yet - people are watching.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Who do the intelligent GOPers get to claim? George Will? David Brooks?

David French is...OK. I think I'm supposed to like French more than I do. My conservative church friends think he's just great. I'm, eh.

12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Tucker Carlson is one of those guys who uses the term "conservative" when convenient as a cop-out to distance from anything the Republican Party does that fails. Talk radio is full of these clowns.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.