1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football 2020 offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I read that, and it was dumb. And I usually like Forde. Look, if we're being honest, we should be looking more at having three Division I subdivisions. There might be an argument for which programs make up the bottom of the top tier -- where does the AAC fall, for instance? UCF surely would like more opportunities to play against the big boys, but does Tulane? And what the fuck is Miami of Ohio even keeping a program around for if it's in a conference with Michigan and Ohio State and other various P5 programs? It competes in the MAC for a reason ... it has certain financial capabilities and trying to keep up with Ohio State isn't one of them.

The divide between the bottom of FBS and the top of FCS is even more pronounced than it's ever been. North Dakota State and James Madison might be the only programs that could make an argument that it would jump up and compete in an FBS conference right away. The Montanas would have no shot. Idaho was once a pretty damn good FCS program that was rendered 100 percent irrelevant at the FBS level. The same would happen to the Montana schools. Not enough talent up there.

I'd love to see a G5 playoff of some sort. They can yell all they want about how they want to compete for the true national championship, but if UCF can win however many games as it won in a row and get zero sniff at the playoff, nobody at that level has a shot. Would be cool to see the best G5 programs play each other rather than have Appalachian State get stuck playing the fourth-place CUSA team or whatever in the New Orleans bowl.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I'm assuming he wrote that for laughs ... it was more fun reading that than the latest contortions by pro leagues to get games in during the pandemic.

Still, for Army's nonconference game ... Hawaii? I think he could have found a better annual nonconference opponent there.

Like, maybe, Navy?

Baron Scicluna and Cosmo like this.
  3. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

Army-Navy is a conference game in his proposal.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

ROFL, yeah, I think he whiffed on that one.

5. Neutral Corner

6. Neutral Corner

Forde used to beat the drum for a 16 team playoff, all the league champs plus at larges to make the sixteen. I guess he gave up on that and went to twelve in a more viable format.

Still won't happen, but it looks fun to this G5 fan. A G5 could get in if they had an excellent season, which is simply impossible now. We're not asking that it be easy, only that there's a legit chance.

As things stand, if you are not in the Preseason Top 25, it is a steep climb to get a shot. A Top 25 based on last year's team, analysis of recruits who have not played a down, and what conference they're in, not on any accomplishments by the teams selected.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Sports radio chatter speculating big schools are purposely letting teams get infected, to promote immunity in time for kickoff. I imagine that if that came out, even about Saban, he would never coach another game.

8. Neutral Corner

Pfft. 'Bama fans are all about playing some games. Saban's just trying to put a team on the field.

If you ain't cheatin' you ain't tryin'.

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I have been curious to see Clemson so willing to announce specific and seemingly high positive-test counts. But it's a stretch to say the numbers prove a conscious attempt at developing herd immunity. If that's what they're doing, they'd better hope there's no paper trail of internal communications.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Seems to me, through pronouncements, and interviews, that Nick Saban takes this virus very seriously. Impressively so.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  11. Neutral Corner

For me it's not so much Clemson as LSU reporting thirty in one pop that smelled like it might have been deliberate.

12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Oops ... guess I missed them being in the same conference (we'll call that the "Penn State Conference").

We'd still lose the Commander in Chief trophy, because only Navy would play Air Force.

Draft saved Draft deleted