1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will COVID-19 be the needle that finally bursts the sports bubble?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Noholesinone

Noholesinone Well-Known Member

UA at $8.70, down 53 percent YTD.

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Which 1 million? Never mind.......

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Still applies to spectator sports in general:

At the end of Imus’s WFAN shift every day, he played this taped message: “This concludes the entertainment portion of the WFAN broadcasting day. WFAN now presents the rest of its programming schedule, 86½ hours of imbecilic prattle between contemptibly limited provincial program hosts talking on the telephone to a band of 13 equally insignificant housebound agoraphobes with sports obsessions.”

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Also applies to a lot of the self-loathing that seems to exist in sports media these days.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

As accurate a description of talk radio — both sports- and politics-oriented versions — as you’ll ever see.

HanSenSE likes this.
  8. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Once again, Imus in the Morning cuts to the heart of the matter...

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Yes let's talk the virus, Trump and politics all day. That's been so good for the American mood.

FWIW, I dunno if the NBA or MLB is coming back. I think it will but the media is ready for that player voice to come along and wave it all off.

Batman likes this.
  10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

We don't need sports. At least we don't need to be paying for them. I think that has become obvious over the last 110 days.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I love sports and I'd like them back. But the chalk bet is that the attempts to revive the 2020 seasons of MLB, NBA and NHL will implode shortly after or even before liftoff. If the NFL can postpone its opening until October, it might have a chance. College football I don't see happening at all.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

yeah.

I'm not really sure this is an attitude problem.

Draft saved Draft deleted