1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2020 PGA Tour thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Sep 11, 2019.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

The report says NBC will pay about half of what Fox pays. I guess Fox will eat the the differenve.

Fox was in a bind because the Open is being played in NFL season this year but it still says a lot about the economic state of televised golf that Fox is bailing.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    maumann likes this.
  2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Call me set in my ways, but I've always hated Fox doing the US Open. For almost as long as I've followed golf, its been on NBC. I associate it with NBC, the same way I associate the Masters with CBS. Speaking of CBS, I hated when they bought the rights to Major League Baseball when I was a kid and essentially fucked it up. I grew up with Scully, Garagiola and the Game of the Week on Saturdays and Al Michaels and Monday night baseball on ABC. Now, here comes CBS, spending a butt load for broadcasting rights and then not even televising the game for half of the season -- they didn't start weekly broadcasts until the season was in June. As much as everyone likes to blame the 1994 players strike for killing baseball's popularity, I think that shit contract with CBS did more damage.

Back to Fox, I think they got better each year with televising it (how could you get any worse than that first year when Greg Norman was as analytic as a crash test dummy), but I still had the stench that comes with watching a Rupert Murdoch property on me. Plus I'll be spared from seeing commercials for Fox's other political offspring channels that they air during sporting events.

maumann likes this.
  4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Fox's first Open in 2015 was, as predicted, an unmitigated disaster. It got better the last couple of years but that contract never made sense other than the boatload of money that Fox paid to the USGA.

This is the right move for all involved. Golf Channel gets a boatload of programming with the smaller USGA events. It now has half the weekday coverage of the last two majors.

When the NFL schedule came out, it was odd that Fox had early-window and late-window NFL games. CBS has no early-window NFL games for Masters Sunday in November. No way was the USGA going to allow for weekend coverage on FS1.

Happy to see this move made and for this year.

maumann likes this.
  5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

This is great, if for no other reason than this.

HanSenSE likes this.
  6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If they broadcast college golf tournaments, and they do, not just the NCAAs, then they will happily broadcast USGA tourneys for amateurs, not just the Amateur.

7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Man do we disagree. I think Hicks is the best. Not as over-wrought at Nantz.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Hicks is perfectly OK as far as I'm concerned. He worked well with Miller, and now seems to be less surefooted with Azinger, et.al. Probably just a matter of time.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

We’re gonna get Feherty back, aren’t we?

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

If there's a God.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I still think of this as the "U.S. Open song":

expendable and Michael_ Gee like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted