1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Photo

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Fred siegle

Fred siegle Well-Known Member

upload_2020-6-30_7-19-49.jpeg

2. Fred siegle

3. Fred siegle

Also, does anyone believe the statement from the lawyer was anything but an attempt to say “please still hire us”?

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The comedy value of these two has been off the charts.

But it also illustrates many of the problems with American society that Louis and Marie Antoinette here feel like they have to draw down on a group of peaceful protesters.

I'm not sure they're hateful people, but they certainly have no training at all on those firearms - so pose a grave risk not only to the people in front of them, but to themselves.

And why walk outside to make such a comical show of "force?"

The more reasonable response would have been to lock the doors, call the cops or the private security service their "gated community" no doubt employs and wait.

5. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Yeah right up there with the finger on the trigger is the poor tactical decision making by these two.

If you have to defend your property, you don't go stand out in the open where you're outnumbered. Find some damn cover. Protect your blind spots.

Every moron who has seen "300" or played a first-person shooter knows that. You've got to funnel bigger numbers into a choke point where you can take them on one at a time.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I’d imagine that would be defined state by state, and I’m not familiar with their gun laws. Also, standing on your own property is going to buy you a lot of leash. I don’t know that they committed a crime. I could be convinced either way depending on the local laws.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Exactly. Not sure 'standing your ground' changes this.

NRA-ILA | Missouri Gun Laws

Carrying

State law does not prohibit the open carrying of firearms, but does prohibit exhibiting “any weapon readily capable of lethal use” in an angry or threatening manner in the presence of one or more persons. Mo. Rev. Stat. § 571.030.1(4).

8. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Fox has been defending these two
    Shocking

9. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

I've seen conflicting reports about this neighborhood. It's gated and closed to outside car traffic is one thing. But also read a tweet from someone from STL that said because it's an historic district, it's actually open to pedestrians. I don't know if that's true. Either way, these jackasses should have stayed in their house sipping wine. They're really lucky the woman didn't shoot him by accident.

10. Patchen

Patchen Well-Known Member

The video I've seen has the protestors breaking through a gate that appears to be not far from the house. If that is the way it unfolded, I get the homeowners being unsettled by a large rowdy group rolling through their neighborhood.
    I understand the need to protect a home and family. Waving guns around leads to a lot of bad outcomes, legally and health, that should be avoided. These people, justifiably worried or not, would have been better off acting with more restraint.
    Are there reports of the protestors throwing things?
    I would also be interested in the ruling on the streets and sidewalks - public or private? Just because someone puts up a sign that says "private" doesn't mean that is really the law. There seems to be confusion on this point.

UPDATE: The Post-Dispatch story quotes a lawyer who says it was a private street and the protestors had no right to be there.
    St. Louis couple who pointed guns at protesters saw threat by ‘bad actors,’ lawyer says; protester says he feared ‘bloodbath’

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

We Resist
    · 15 hrs ·
    The eyes say alcohol and pills. The finger on the trigger shows no training with firearms. The mustard on the shirt says the sandwich was fucking delicious.

[​IMG]

Batman and Driftwood like this.
  12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

There isn’t any confusion. Protesters went somewhere they weren’t legally allowed to be and this couple was pissed off. Scared? I dunno. I doubt it. Doesn’t seem like it. More mad. They called the cops but obviously didn’t wait for the cops. The protesters were there to march on the mayor’s house - why the mayoral residence is in a gated community is another question entirely - and had these two get mad and confront them.

I’d expect more confrontations like this -not with weird guns, but similar emotions -particularly around statues. Police are largely powerless and unwilling to stop much at this point - see what happened in Madison last week - so any resistance mostly falls to citizen opposition.

Something bad is going to happen I fear. Some kind of violent public brawl over the sanctity of a Wendy’s, or something.

Draft saved Draft deleted