1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Photo

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The protesters? Yes.

2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Someone needs to show explain this to her.
    [​IMG]

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Link?

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Still waiting for the image that shows those goddamned libruhl Black people were trespassing onto Joe and Karen's property to the point where they deserved to be threatened with death.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Guns 'N Posers

6. bigpern23

There's a middle ground here in that, since the couple did not fire upon anyone while standing on their own property and thus, probably didn't commit a crime. Yet, they showed themselves to be coward racists who assumed the horde of black and brown people walking past their home toward another destination were at all interested in their property.

The world now knows who they are, and their community will either shun, embrace or forget about them. Their business may collapse, or it may flourish representing clients who harbor the same fears they have of people of color.

7. bigpern23

Shit, just saw this after posting something similar.

Songbird likes this.
  8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

9. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Insane Clown Pussies.

10. bigpern23

This is a valid argument, sort of. Defending yourself or family is 100 percent the reason to own and wield a gun, and it is for that reason alone I do support the Second Amendment. If those protesters broke into their home, they would be well within their rights to gun down every fucking one of them. But those people were not out there wielding their weapons in "self defense." They were, I guess, defending their property. I think it's reasonably understood they have a right to do so.

However, I hate the idea of "protecting" property with firearms. They were basically waving guns around to prevent having to file an insurance claim to fix whatever damage they thought could potentially be done to their home (even though I haven't seen any accounts of vandalism by that particular group). No matter how badass they felt doing so, the only thing they did was drastically increase the chances of something really bad happening.

A couple years ago, we had some punk college kids steal our Christmas lights right off the side of our house. They walked up 50 yards from the street, grabbed several strings of lights and a lighted reindeer and ran off. I chased them outside in my boxer shorts, but they got in their car and took off. I posted our Ring camera footage on social media in an effort to identify the thieves, but we never found them. Terrible experience, kids were terrified, etc.

But probably the thing I remember most were the number of people who asked if we were armed (we are not) or suggested that we should have been. I got into fairly lengthy argument with a former friend about Second Amendment rights. He said I was "unable to protect my family" because I didn't own a gun. "What if they had entered the house and attacked my family" he posited.

The hypothetical notwithstanding — which was moot since my house was deadbolted and, frankly, I'm pretty good in a fight — I had to ask, what if I owned a gun? Should I have run outside and shot the perpetrators in the back as they ran away for stealing literally $60 worth of Christmas lights from my property? I would have been within my rights, but is that an outcome that would have served anyone well? Would my kids have learned that human lives are worth less than the $60 it cost to purchase those lights?

He never responded to those questions.

There may be some exceptions, but I doubt there are many instances where defense of property is worth killing somebody.

Donny in his element likes this.
  11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Sorry you don’t have shoot to commit a crime. Assault is defined as the threat of imminent bodily harm. Pointing a gun meets that definition to a T.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. Fred siegle

Fred siegle Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted