1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obscure sports trivia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Jan 3, 2019.

1. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Name the four players to score 100 points or more in each of their three first NHL seasons?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

George Brunet is one of the original .45sd/Pilots. The other was catcher Merritt Ranew.

Runnels was from Texas and wanted to return there. And the Red Sox got Dick Stuart from Pittsburgh the week before, making Runnels expendable.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Mike Bossy? Sydney Crosby? Gretzky?

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Fair enough. All good here.

Jeff Pearlman outlined how Herschel Walker was hounded into signing by the Generals during the Dawgs' bowl game that season. Figures that ownership would think themselves above the rules. That trend has obviously continued.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux, Alex Ovechkin, Sidney Crosby

(The guess here is the shoulder injury that ate up Connor McDavid's rookie season was the only thing to keep him from being No. 5 on the list ... )

6. cyclingwriter2

Gretzky and Lemieux are correct. Hints on the other two: one is a European player who is now in the Hall. Other is obscure, and played for two teams during those three seasons, Hartford and the Rangers.

7. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

First three seasons or first four seasons? Either way, I’m going to guess the other two are Peter Stastny and Mike Rogers (who I would not have guessed without your hint).

8. cyclingwriter2

Ugh, meant three, but yes Stastny and Rogers, who is definitely the odd one out of the foursome. One of the few WHL guys whose numbers got better in the NHL, and the was done essentially by age 30.

Sea Bass likes this.
  9. Sea Bass

Who are the four players who scored 50 goals or more during their rookie season in the NHL?

10. Sea Bass

I know who Rogers is but I was too young to know him as a player (I was five during his first year in the NHL). I always wondered why the Whalers traded him after two 100-point seasons. After just now looking at what they got for him, I’m still wondering.

11. cyclingwriter2

I was curious about that as well. I found an article that according to him, the whalers management wanted to promote Ron Francis as a star and didn’t think he and Rogers would make a good fit on the same team. It doesn’t make a lot of sense.

12. cyclingwriter2

Since 1947, only one NL player has led the league in home runs with 35 or less in a non-strike season. Who was it?

Draft saved Draft deleted