1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football 2020 offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

It was a fucking COVID party. I guarantee it.

Every contending Power 5 program wants the virus out of their system by Labor Day.

Edit: Should've said Ga-Ron-Tee it.

2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

You don't have a way to keep the athletes locked up on campus. But if we keep having college football teams getting 15-25% positive COVID 19 tests I think you may have to conclude football is a super spreader activity. And does a small school or a high school ahve the ability to properly manage that?

I don't think a large D-1 school can manage it either, but they have enough resources to fake it.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

For now, schools aren’t agitated about positive tests. If we get to late August and people are still testing positive, they have a problem. If one QB has it, must all QBs be quarantined for 14 days because they have been in the same meeting room?

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I understand that the players are healthy young animals who are unlikely to become seriously ill. If there are serious cases for whatever reason, say poor immune response, and a player dies of Covid-19, does that shut things down? If not, how many deaths before they do pull the plug? Lives versus money, I wonder where the line is.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  5. tapintoamerica

Not just deaths. Hospitalizations. How many suffering players does any coach need to Zoom in order to decide this ain’t worth it?
    Including walk-ons, there are roughly 15,000 FBS players nationwide. What are the odds that none of them is hospitalized?

6. Neutral Corner

That's kinda where I'm coming from. It is a large enough pool that statistically it seems likely that there will be very serious and possibly fatal cases. I think they need to address it as policy on the front end, not play it on the fly when it comes up.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Agree with this. COVID-19 or not, 18- to 22-year-old kids are going to socialize and mix with other young people, athletes and non-athletes alike.

I have two in that age group, and while they weren't partying at Daytona Beach or in Mexico during their spring breaks, they managed to visit with old high school friends and, of course, work part-time jobs as they finished their spring semesters at home.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Saint Nick
    Eliminates
    Clown

9. Neutral Corner

10. tapintoamerica

11. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member