1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Jacksonville to order mask-wearing ahead of GOP convention

Florida doctors to Jacksonville mayor: Hosting Republican National Convention is 'medically disrespectful'

Hundreds of doctors in Florida sent a letter to Jacksonville Mayor Lenny Curry and the city council, warning that hosting the Republican National Convention would invite further spread of the coronavirus as Florida already is dealing with a spike in cases. The letter says that with 40,000 people expected to attend, the event should be either "very significantly reduced in numbers" or postponed.

"The Republican National Convention (RNC) is scheduled in Jacksonville for late August. It is estimated that more than 40,000 people, including the press and protestors, will attend from all over the US," says the letter, posted by local FOX13 and earlier reported by First Coast News. "Allowing this number of people to descend on Jacksonville is unequivocally provocative of disease, predictably harmful, and medically disrespectful to the citizens of this city, much less the rest of the country."

The doctors also suggested that Jacksonville take a cue from other Florida cities such as Orlando, Miami and Tampa by requiring people to wear masks and be socially distant.

garrow, SFIND and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

3. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

4. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

Broadway entertainers are certainly more important than Applebee’s waiters and riblets. Perhaps they can sell virtual shows? It is a luxury that Applebee’s does not possess.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I hope so.

A lot of our arts organizations aren't going to make it to 2021. Not just the small ones. Some of the grandest.

Add them to the restaurants and the dress shops and the bars and a hundred other businesses that won't survive to next year.

The city's missing something like $175 million a day in lost tourism revenue. And the tax revenue shortfall on top of it.

fuck

lean times ahead

SFIND likes this.
  6. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Not true.

There are two Applebee's in the Theater District.

OscarMadison and Jerry-atric like this.
  9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Yeah, and they employ some of those actors.

“Good evening! My name is José and I’ll be your unemployed actor this evening. Would you like to hear about our drink specials?”

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

I lament all struggling to make ends meet right now. It is difficult enough to make it to Broadway. That is what I really meant to say. It is a lifelong dream for these singers!

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

We'll see if this policy is in place when the klan rally formally convenes in late August.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Arizona locks down. Florida, you’re on the clock.

Draft saved Draft deleted