1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB season delayed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Regan MacNeil, Mar 12, 2020.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Mike Leake Opts Out Of 2020 Season

Leake, 32, was in the final season of a five-year, $80MM contract originally signed with the Cardinals — although he’s since been traded to Seattle and then Arizona. He’d have earned a prorated $16MM salary this season — about $5.5MM — and had a $5MM buyout on an option for the 2021 season. MLB Network’s Jon Heyman tweets that Leake will not be paid in 2020, which suggests that his decision is not due to concerns about his own health but rather the health of close-proximity family and loved ones. Under the agreement reached between the league and union last week, only players who are deemed high-risk themselves are entitled to receive salary and service time after opting out.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

WTF? But, must make up lost revenues to not pay the players.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Ryan Zimmerman also opts out.

Career probably over.

4. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

:(

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Interesting.
    Does this mean the Kung Flu really exists? That can't be true. Zimmerman swore his allegiance to Trump in a post-Series ceremony at the White House, located only a few blocks from the Walgreens' home park, which hosted a GOP event in 2018. Is the hero of the previously underachieving Walgreens' title run now daring to disavow his lord and savior?

6. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

In terms of this year's team, Joe Ross opting out probably hurts more. The Z-man is pretty replaceable.

7. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Probably will be a dozen or more players opt out, for smart reasons.

Players report Wednesday. Full workouts Friday. Pretty pivotal week to see if they can get started in the first place. I’m sure privately MLB officials would be happy to have the 5 present positive rate the NBA just had.

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

If I'm a team official, I"m hoping for ≤5% or ≥50%. Clarity is king.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And on the eve of Bobby Bonilla Day, there's this:

Jake from State Farm likes this.
  10. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Mike Trout may be the litmus test. Choose to stay with his pregnant wife or chase this asterisk of a "season" with everything crumbling around it? If he bails, why would any well-paid vet buy into this shamockery?

As soon as they closed spring training back in March, I was ready to write this one off. Four weeks from "re-opening day" and I still feel there's less than a 50-50 chance any team sport based in North America plays meaningful games before the end of the calendar year. Pro. College. Even high school. I'll believe it when I see it. Until then, I don't believe it.

Deskgrunt50 and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  11. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

I am skeptical any of the major pro or college sports will have a season

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I agree.

And WELCOME BACK!

maumann and HanSenSE like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted