1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

N.C. State beat reporter, The News & Observer (Raleigh, N.C.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Todd M. Adams, Jun 20, 2020.

1. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

Yeesh, you guys are like a Wolfpack...dad joke done.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

You don't know spit about Wolfpack jokes. None. Trust me on this one ...

maumann likes this.
  3. @CWrightSDS

@CWrightSDS Member

UNC beat reporter shifting to Charlotte to cover the Panthers.
    That job also will be open.
    Man, it's a whole new world in Raleigh.

RonClements likes this.
  4. Antwan Staley

Antwan Staley Member

I guess a lot going on with the News and Observer

5. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Hoping to get the UNC job posted shortly.

MiamiBoy likes this.
  6. MiamiBoy

MiamiBoy Active Member

To be fair on this, the button right below that says "add cover letter" and once you add the cover letter, you can't add anymore files. So unless you remembered to put the make one file with the cover letter and clips, you were kind of stuck. I forgot to as well.

7. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

The point is there are multiple ways to adapt to the situation and submit all the information necessary to showcase your qualifications. You're applying for a writing/reporting job. Of course they're going to want to clips. If you can only attach one file, combine the clips. Some email services only allow one attachment through at a time.

If you're serious about applying for jobs, you need to be prepared for any wrinkles in the application process. Bundled PDFs, copies of your resume/cover letter in different file formats, etc. Adapt and overcome.

Antwan Staley likes this.
  8. MiamiBoy

MiamiBoy Active Member

I mean I don't totally disagree, but following directions is pretty important too. What if they don't want clips unless they specifically contact you asking for them? If clips were required, I'm sure they could have put an extra tab in the application, or put a post saying send them in to an email address. But they didn't. I have no problem doing either one, but asking a question about it isn't something that means you're not fit for the job.

cake in the rain likes this.
  9. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Put links to your clips in your resume. Everybody needs to stop being so by-the-book, sitting on their ass waiting for the job recruiter grist mill to tell them when they can eat and shit, and just do what you think will make you stand out. Proud of a couple clips that you want to show but can’t add any more attachments? Put them in new section of your resume titled “clips” or something, with a sentence or two explaining why you like them, and give some metrics where you can. Who gives a shit if it’s in the application, you have about 30 seconds to grab their attention so for gods sake make it count. This is a job hunt not a movie climax.

10. MiamiBoy

MiamiBoy Active Member

SIR YES SIR!

11. Adam94

Adam94 Member

When I realized there was no specific spot to link to clips, I just made a second page of my cover letter doc dedicated to that. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

Antwan Staley likes this.
  12. Todd M. Adams

Todd M. Adams Member

Hey everybody, I'm thrilled to announce that we've promoted Jonas Pope to cover N.C. State. Jonas has been with the N&O since the merger with the Herald-Sun, mostly covering high schools but helping out a ton elsewhere, especially on the ACC. He's more than ready for this job and I am very excited about this promotion.

So, to answer a couple of obvious questions.

1. Yes, the UNC beat job is still open and we are still going through the hiring process. We hope to have that all resolved soon.

2. I'm not sure if Jonas' promotion will mean that we have a high schools job open. We hope so, but everyone knows the situation our company is in right now. If the job is approved (now or in the future) we will post it here.

Todd

TGO157, MileHigh, HanSenSE and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted