1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mississippi's flag goes down

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

And I suppose that in itself is fair as it represents a national entity that once governed the state (joining Spain, France and the U.S.) One or more stars on Arkansas' flag is also inverted in the style of a pentagram — I suppose that's the CSA star.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

If they never choose a new flag, will they just use a picture of a flag, like the Browns use a picture of a brown helmet as their logo?

Batman likes this.
  3. Twirling Time

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Here are the 50 state flags.
    Flags of the U.S. states and territories - Wikipedia

I'm not a fan of any flag that has the name of the state on it. Show me some images of your state and let me figure it out.
    I like Maryland although I read that it includes concessions to the slave-holding and ultimately defeated contingent therein. Love Louisiana. Disappointed in Washington, which has so much natural beauty but chose an image everybody knows. At this point, of course, dislodging GW would be met with Trumpist outrage. They should toss GW off there because it's boring.

5. Twirling Time

Maryland and Texas are neck-and-neck in the self-love of their state flags. Ohio might get a distant bronze medal.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The three stars below “Arkansas” retained the meanings Miss Hocker had set and the lone star above the word is to commemorate Arkansas’ membership in the Confederacy.

https://www.sos.arkansas.gov/education/arkansas-history/history-of-the-flag/story-of-the-flag

The site notes there was a "furor" about the Confederacy being left off the flag. That happened in 1923 - 10 years after the original design was approved and just four after the Elaine massacre. I'd wager folding money the Daughters of the Confederacy was behind the "furor" as they raised Confederate monuments around the state (and nation).

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Ohio and Cuba have similar flags, which is interesting for the Land of Gym Jordan.

8. Twirling Time

I say the same thing about Texas and Chile.

HanSenSE likes this.
  9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Maryland's flag is the coat of arms for George Calvert, 1st Baron of Baltimore who founded the colony.

[​IMG]

10. Twirling Time

I feel sorry for the happy leopards who missed out on the notoriety.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Maybe that was the concessions to the slave holders?

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

They're probably the two most unique and identifiable state flags, though. They've done well with their marketing.

Draft saved Draft deleted