1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adaptation to COVID world

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I stop the "blame the media" bullshit by just asking them if they're in favor of bringing back the Fairness Doctrine and equal time laws for all TV, cable and radio broadcasters. If they say no, then I tell them to stop their fucking whining unless they have an equitable solution.

They always shut down after that.

garrow likes this.
  2. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

We went back to Trader Joe’s for the first time since the shutdown. Been picking up things as needed at closer stores in the meantime.

TJ’s was great. Limited access, masks of course, and a clear checkout protocol. Top-notch professional and safety-conscious all the way.

It was a nice long walk to get there. Loaded up for a couple of weeks so had to get a cab back. I haven’t been in a car, on a train/subway or bus in months.

Driver has a mask, as we did, and there was a plexiglass divider.

Still, the enclosed space bothered me a bit. Not a huge deal, but it’s been awhile.

Haven’t been in a crowd yet. Outside with a mask probably wouldn’t bother me, I don’t think. A crowded bus or subway might be a different story.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
    OscarMadison likes this.
  3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I want to get back to the city in the worst way (101 days and counting) but the buses and trains worry me. So not yet.

But I'm reading my ass off so there's that.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I feel like I won the lottery.

On the way home from my weekly visit to Trader Joe's Old Folks Hour, I stop by a small local grocery store near me. Great meat selection and the butcher knows me now. Has my cuts ready when I walk up to the counter.

Today, the manager (I've also bonded with him because I'm good like that) went into the back and brought out a container of LYSOL DISINFECTANT WIPES. Been looking for those forever. He told me they were getting them in now but he wasn't going to put them on the shelves because people would try to hoard them and fight over them. Said I could have one container every Saturday. I told him that's all I need.

Out the door at 7:45, home before nine with a full load of groceries and LYSOL DISINFECTANT WIPES.

The shit that makes you happy these days.

5. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I'm on a committee that judges low-fi, low budget Youtube videos. One person I watched yesterday is a sweet woman somewhere in the Ozarks who has the most extensive, well-organized stash of yarn I have ever seen. During a video where she and her husband went to Walmart to look at plants and yarn, I just sat there and watched it. In the past, I would fast-forward through stuff like that.

Why? I miss normal. I know it's not coming back, but I still miss it.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Why is there a committee judging videos like that?

7. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

Perhaps the next Spielberg lurks! Do not underestimate amateurs.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I'll concede "well organized", but my wife may give her a run for her money as to "extensive." This is one of her work rooms. Maybe half her yarn. There are about 20 boxes/bags/bins in this room. I live in a goddamn Hobby Lobby.

yarntoo.jpg

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

We had a social-distanced get together with four of our son’s friends last night. They’re all recently graduated high schooler who haven’t seen each other, or pretty much anyone else besides family, for 100 days.

We didn’t have to remind them much to keep a safe margin between each other because their have been diligently doing it on their own. Most showed up with masks. Chips, drinks, etc. were in individual packaging. Hotdogs on the grill were handled practically as though they were radioactive until they were placed on each kid’s plate. Hand sanitizer was readily available.

I think that we overkilled the surface contamination safety measures a bit, but part of that was to emphasize the seriousness of not being close enough to breathe each other’s air.

I know that, for our son and probably the others, the fairly short time of controlled togetherness boosted the mood a little after months of disappointments.

10. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

We had a social-distanced get together with four of our son’s friends in our spacious back yard last night. They’re all recently graduated high schooler who haven’t seen each other, or pretty much anyone else besides family, for 100 days.

We didn’t have to remind them much to keep a safe margin between each other because their have been diligently doing it on their own. Most showed up with masks. Chips, drinks, etc. were in individual packaging. Hotdogs on the grill were handled practically as though they were radioactive until they were placed on each kid’s plate. Hand sanitizer was readily available.

I think that we overkilled the surface contamination safety measures a bit, but part of that was to emphasize the seriousness of not being close enough to breathe each other’s air.

I know that, for our son and probably the others, the fairly short time of controlled togetherness boosted the mood a little after months of disappointments.

11. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

She has some seriously nice hardeware! Her stash? I like it, but as far as size goes? That looks like a comfortable supply that will get used.

I can't disclose the woman's Youtube channel right now, but she has walls of fiber, walls of it, thousands of neatly stacked and organized skeins, hanks, and cakes. She's a completist collector. Her work is very pretty, but wow, that stash... If I had a way to post the image I made from a screenshot that covered all identifying items and her, you would see what I mean. Can I DM this to you? I'll try.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted