1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019-2020 NHL season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Sea Bass, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Exactly the term I was looking for to describe Marian Hossa. Stunned at the hand-wringing over his induction.

As for the draft lottery, stop tanking. Continuing to suck doesn't guarantee the No. 1 pick. And look at how much that helped Edmonton. Didn't really benefit until the Oilers got Connor McDavid. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins might not be too bad, either, but again ... a string of high picks. Not much to show for it.

Whining over the lottery? Really?

JC likes this.
  2. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

It’s not. It’s set up to prevent tanking, which it should be.

Were you hot about this in years the Wings weren’t unlucky?

3. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

When Edmonton gets the No. 1 pick in four of six years and Jersey in two of three, yes
    If Ottawa or one of the lottery teams had gotten No. 1 that’s OK
    Do you want to see Pittsburgh or Toronto with the No. 1 pick?

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

They did not let teams in the playoffs and lottery. Teams that will be in the playoffs will not be part of the lottery. Montreal given the choice would probably have rather been in the lottery had they only allowed the 8 teams that aren’t playing in.

Should there have been a play in or just take the year end standings and go with them? The standings where teams didn’t play the same amount of games.

What about the teams with conditional 1st round picks based on playoffs or lottery protection, what would you do with them?

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

[/QUOTE]
    Draft better. Don’t pass on Quinn Hughes for a Russian winger.

6. Jake from State Farm

Draft better. Don’t pass on Quinn Hughes for a Russian winger.[/QUOTE]

If you mean Filip Zadina, he’s Czech

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

If you mean Filip Zadina, he’s Czech[/QUOTE]
    Point stands.

8. Sea Bass

I guarantee you if Detroit had won the lottery last night you’d be ok.

Oilers winning that often was luck. As tends to happen in a lottery. And it really makes no difference to me who wins the thing.

JC likes this.
  9. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

What am I missing?
    Or, what are you missing?
    The team that gets the No. 1 pick will have won the lottery. That team also will have been in the playoffs.
    If this is a semantics quiz between playoff and play-in, then you can think whatever you want and you can give Bettman a juicy one right on his butt cheeks.
    Honestly, I made no effort to understand the playoff structure.
    I made no effort to understand the lottery structure.
    I made no effort to understand the escrow procedures.
    All of it is too confusing and makes not one fuck of a difference to me as someone who enjoys watching hockey.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    JC likes this.
  10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

But you just knew they would find a way to include those teams.

And yes, I just love Bettman.

ChrisLong likes this.
  11. Sea Bass

You are doing a fair bit of complaining about something you say makes no difference to you.

Honestly - whether we call the best-of-5s the play-in round or the actual first round, those series involve at best the 9th-place team. So I suppose it’s possible the 9th place team could walk away with Lafreniere. In the past, the 17th-place team could have. Not a huge difference to me.

Now - if you are wondering why they didn’t just wait to do the lottery until the best-of-fives were over, then I might agree with you. But maybe there’s a reason for that that I’m just not considering.

12. Jake from State Farm

Draft saved Draft deleted