1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Simmons, trending.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Azrael, Jun 23, 2020.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Ax was only 47 when he died? Liver failure. He looked like he was 65 when he was on TV.

I'm 46 so that strikes me as really something.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

When’s Junction Boys on again?

3. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

4. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

I'm not really sure what Abbott's piece was trying to say. That Simmons is wired the way he is because he's an only child? Not a very strong takedown, IMO.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

No kidding. 47, wow, I had him pegged for much older on TV too. I'm also 46 ... maybe in gambling years I don't have much longer either. Liver's fine, though.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

To be clear, the only child stuff I thought was wildly overblown. Then again, I'm an only child.

Mostly, I thought it was kind of fascinating seeing someone who knows Simmons drag him to that degree. He just comes across as a giant asshole.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

My memory of Junction Boys was the premise, which deserved to be mocked.

Bryant nearly gets his players killed in training camp, but the bond the players built resulted in a national title.

In reality, most of the players quit, the team won one or two games that season, only a handful of players were on the title team, which was several years later, and Bryant admitted he fucked up.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
  8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

One of the final scenes mentioned that. Bryant is on an airplane heading to a Junction Boys reunion, and looking at a scrapbook. He mentions that they were beat to hell and sucked in 1954, but that a bunch of players were on the Southwest Conference championship team a couple of years later.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think I turned it off by then. I just remember the promos for it.

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Simmons talked on his latest podcast (before Cheadle and Lowe) about the shitstorm. Said he needs to do better.

Said Rewatchables is one of the highest-producing revenue properties at The Ringer. Said it became clear that podcasts were bringing in the money.

that’s why you put your best people, best chemistry on that product. Ringer has a bunch of podcasts I don’t seek out and don’t listen to. There’s your farm system.

Simmons is already being accused as a dick. So he should do this.

Send out a company-wide email. A spreadsheet.

Everyone’s name. Everyone’s salary. The ad revenue that comes in from each person’s contributions.

A lot of parasites will be revealed.

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Yikes, man. Parasites?

PaperClip529 likes this.
  12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Lou Grant covered this.

"This list gets around there's going to be a revolution out there."

Draft saved Draft deleted