1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will COVID-19 be the needle that finally bursts the sports bubble?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Apr 2, 2020.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Not exactly a thought unique to the pandemic era.

[​IMG]

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Morehouse announced today that they won't be fielding football this fall
    While Morehouse is a DII HBCU it has lots of notable alumni including all three MLKs, Spike Lee and Samuel L. Jackson among many, many others. Denzel's kid, who played football there, is also an alum.
    I suspect they're just the first school to make it official but lots of others have got similar plans.
    There's also an NCAA survey floating around about kicking all the fall sports to the spring. Unclear on how it would work, but seems like a more real possibility as the case count continues to climb and basic preventive measures are now considered political.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The University of Alabama System, Tuscaloosa, Birmingham, and Huntsville, are all currently fully committed to a normal on campus schedule.

We'll see how long that one lasts.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

It's interesting that some public schools are sharing testing results and others aren't. I don't know whether the difference stems from state FOIA laws or whether schools differ on interpretation of HIPAA or FERPA, etc.
    But here's what I'm wondering: Are there some schools that are sharing because deep down they know this notion of playing college football is absurd and they're trying to create a groundswell that makes them do what they know they should?
    Bravo to Clemson for disclosure. Its general institutional identity is heavily tied to football.

7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

They want 100 percent positives. I’m telling you, Dabo wants everyone immune by August.

HanSenSE likes this.
  8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

What if that doesn’t equate to immunity? I’ve seen reports of people testing positive again after “recovering” from it.

9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

If that’s the case, and they can’t get a vaccine, humanity is fucked. We’ll drop steadily 2% at a time toward extinction.

10. HanSenSE

Dominoes may be falling in California jucos as well. The Central Valley Conference, which ranges from Sonora to Porterville, won't have competition in the fall. Affected athletes will not lose eligibility.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Link?

12. HanSenSE

Draft saved Draft deleted