1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 NASCAR Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Feb 7, 2020.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

If they didn't open the garage door, they didn't do a pre-race cleaning and inspection. And wouldn't they have to do such things in these times?

2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Thanks.

I can't find this fact and the terminology is beyond me at this point, but would the loop on a uni-knot tighten or be fixed (static?) when pulled on?

3. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

COVID 19 has been making its way across the south. Even if the garage was unoccupied, a disinfection was called for. COVID 19 may cling to surfaces.

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Covid wasn’t around last October, so one could argue the garage was “cleaner” than it would be if someone (after Covid) went in there and sanitized it.

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

So no events of any type in between? No lesser series events, etc?

6. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Once you get the big loop, pull on the line to cinch it down. You can tie an improved clinch knot and leave the loop if you like.

7. expendable

I’d imagine much happens during the winter months, and certainly nothing happened after mid March. If the track did clean the garage, they probably didn’t think of the pull ropes. Doorknobs, sure, but pull ropes, that could be an easy oversight.

8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Huh, well that explains one question I had of "why the hell would anyone tie it like that?" But it leaves the question to be begged, how did no one say that rope was n0t a good look?

9. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Whoever tied that wasn't tying a uni knot. It was a straight up noose.
    Honestly, other than application and use, there isn't much difference, but I doubt the dude was getting ready for an upcoming fishing trip. The main difference from a uni knot and a noose is where one of sections of line lays. Once tied and in place, a uni knot doesn't have the slip function a hangman's noose does.

I really do practice knots almost every day. I keep a length of paracord beside my chair and randomly sit around tying various knots. All of them are for fishing and boating applications.

A noose itself can't be racist or whatever. It's a piece of rope. It's what the person who tied it does with it, that's the racist part.
    If the current narrative is to be believed, I'd consider this more a case of really bad judgement by someone in October than anything.
    If someone really did tie it Saturday or Sunday, then that would be racist.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  10. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Which is why the FBI came to the conclusion that it did.

For it to be a hate crime, it has to be intentional and targeted. Since the noose has been around since the fall and Wallace's garage assignment was random, it couldn't be targeted.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was done as a joke or some other insensitive, poor taste judgement call - and then no one batted an eye, because Wallace is the only Black driver and there are very few people of color in the pit crew, security crew, and NASCAR officiating group. Then Wallace gets assigned that garage by chance, no one notable sees it until Sunday, and with all of the other shit going in with the confederate flag, police abuse, and death threats towards Wallace for his social stances, people were on high alert.

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

If I wanted to tie that garage door rope so it had a loop to pull on, I'd have tied a bowline.

That appears to me to be a straight up noose.

OscarMadison and Driftwood like this.
  12. expendable

Up until earlier this week, if I would have seen a noose (I can’t tie knots), my first thought would’ve been that “first time” meme.

Draft saved Draft deleted