1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Simmons, trending.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Azrael, Jun 23, 2020.

1. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Simmons made “stuffy old dudes wanted me to pay my dues so I said phuck that” part of his mythology. If run of the mill journalists shit on him for that its because he shot first

justgladtobehere likes this.
  2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Yeah, it wasn't great. For his Monday pods, they're recorded Sunday nights - Cousin Sal during the football season, Rusillo the rest of the year for NBA / general sports talk. With no live sports, they've been touching more on non-sports stuff, but neither one is who I'd expect a nuanced political conversation from, and it wasn't.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Very charming to see Magary talk about concise writing.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Did Mariotti beat his girlfriend again?

6. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

My biggest issue with The Ringer (and, first, Grantland) is the holier-than-thou approach to both hiring and staff retention. I can't believe how dismissive some of their mastheads have been about employment and freelance inquiries. There used to be a modicum of respect in this business, but that's gone by the wayside with both of those sites (and with The Athletic). It's very discouraging, and it's made me actively root against them.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

That one is leaving the park and still going up.

Still a sticking point with me. Desperately wanted to be a sports journalist. Thought he could reinvent the journalistic wheel. Acted arrogantly, like the a kid who thinks because one outlet published one of his pieces, he was entitled to a prime writing spot at a metro.

In hindsight, can you picture the level of nightmare he would have been to a desk, especially given how arrogant he has come across to anyone who dared offered a legitimate correction?

Never learned. Made a bunch of money ... and, apparently, thinks that because he did, he can continue to wave his middle finger(s) at us.

Go back to Boston. Never show your face in public again. We would all be better off.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

All these assholes end up in LA. Simmons. Russilo. Mariotti.

3_Octave_Fart likes this.
  9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Magary's story answered this:

One editor who used to work with Simmons at ESPN said they once sent him notes on an article and his only reply was, "stet all changes." He never found any criticism of him constructive.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

What was his kid's podcast about?

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Not the first place I've read his complete distaste for editors or anyone who dare challenge him, at the risk of a crane kick during a karate tournament.

The funny part? Actually had someone once argue that Simmons actually wanted to be edited.

Draft saved Draft deleted