1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Simmons, trending.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Azrael, Jun 23, 2020.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'm curious if Whitlock really does drive clicks.

If he did, I suspect he'd still be at Fox.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I haven't paid attention to Simmons in ages but remember how it seemed like he wasn't enjoying the astronomical ride he was on, like when he became the biggest thing at ESPN.com but was still bitter at the Boston Globe for not hiring him. Then the whole Grantland debacle. Just baffling to me.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Some people live for their grievances. Simmons has been extraordinarily successful, because he's had and implemented some big ideas. But the thing is, despite wealth and fame, he's still unhappy he didn't get to be Bob Ryan. Or even me. Why he isn't a million light years past caring about Boston is beyond me.

4. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

BECAHZ IT'S THE FACKIN' HUB OF THE UNIVEHSE

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The thing is ... you're right. Royko had Chicago. L.A. had Murray. Maybe Billy saw himself as the Boston Royko/Murray.

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

In the universe in which we occupy, I never thought I would agree with such a ludicrous statement.
    And as much as people hated the son of a bitch, you're right.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It might be because he was never really a part of it. He knows, deep down, he was never really a part of it.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I think I said this here many years ago. But the worst possible thing happened to Simmons: He became civilized.

Batman likes this.
  9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Bill Simmons is a douchebag and this latest stuff with him and the Ringer really exposes his shortcomings.

That said, the whole "failed newspaper writer" meme that some of you love to bring up is so utterly bizarre and so singularly tied to this place.

3_Octave_Fart likes this.
  10. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Looking at Simmons' twitter feed. It's mostly links to stuff written by the few minorities he's hired or an announcement of brining on Bakari Sellers or links to some of his podcasts with minority hosts.

Bill Simmons did what nearly every white guy does when presented with that sort of authority -- surrounded himself with guys that look and think like him. But he is what he has always been.

11. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

I don't think it's loving to note he was a failed newspaper writer as it is marveling, as Michael Gee said, that it still sticks in his craw. He has quite possibly made more money by himself than every single poster who has ever posted here combined. He has reinvented the wheel at least twice. He is on the very short list of the most transcendent figures in sportswriting over the last, what, half-century? More? And yet he's still a miserable prick completely lacking in self-awareness. I doubt very much there'd be so many mentions of his failed newspaper career if he was more outwardly appreciative of his success and less of a prick.

12. stix

stix Well-Known Member

I guess I don't dislike Simmons as much as some of you on here, though I probably liked him way more when he just admitted what he was and did his thing instead of trying to be Grantland Rice.

His biggest mistake here, IMO, is doing a podcast on racial matters and brining on Ryen Rusillo as his guest. That's pretty ignorant. Hasn't Simmons interviewed Obama before? He couldn't think of just one black leader, the ones we need to be hearing from, to talk about this?

sgreenwell likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted