1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Simmons, trending.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Azrael, Jun 23, 2020.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Currently being roasted on social media for The Ringer's lack of diversity.

And for saying things like this

Mr. Simmons said by email that the company needed to spotlight its best podcasters. “It’s a business,” he said. “This isn’t Open Mic Night.”

while giving his teenage daughter a podcast.

Sports Media Giant Bill Simmons Finds Himself Playing Defense

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Bill Simmons is the Lena Dunham of media. He repeatedly does and says dumb shit but it never dings him too much.

Also: wasn’t it Stephen Colbert who had a writing staff full of white men at one time?

Tweener likes this.
  3. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Posted this on the rasslin thread as Dave cohosted their pod for free but this Twitter thread about his ringer experience is gutting

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Substitute "got a job at" with "started reading," and "work there" with "read there," and I think you have the general consensus of a lot of Grantland readers.

Tweener, JimmyHoward33 and sgreenwell like this.
  5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I'm often a Simmons defender, which is probably partly because I line up with his natural demo perfectly - 36 year old white dude from New England that loves sports and pop culture. But he brought a bunch of the most recent shit on himself with the NY Times interview, and the podcast he did with Russillo roughly two Mondays ago.

They usually just do an NBA "redraftable" on a past year lately, but they felt compelled to wade into politics, and it went about as well as you'd expect. During it, Russillo praised Simmons for hiring a diverse group of writers, which got a clapback from the Ringer Union at first, and then got further blowback after that NY Times article. Its hard to say that you just can't find talented podcasters when you're giving shows to 1) your buddy from college and 2) your daughter and 3) of all the people to hire as a producer, you pick your nephew.

I don't know. Simmons has obviously "matured" in some ways - I cringe at times when I read some of his older columns, and I imagine he does too now, since he has a teenage daughter. He's not Adam Carolla, who I also liked in the early 2000s, but who's just gotten more bitter and entitled as he's aged. After that awful Russillo pod two weeks ago, he's had on more diverse guests. I suspect that like a lot of people, he's trying to be better here, but part of that is making missteps and getting called out for it. Hopefully his response to this is to hire more diverse voices, instead of just digging in.

6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

This guy still doesn't get it, does he.
    It's not like we haven't had an enormous shared event- maybe the biggest such in world history- to reassess unpleasant things about ourselves.
    When are some of these guys going to grow up?
    Why are Florio, Travis, Whitlock and Simmons trending over a 96-hour period?

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Cuz they still generate clicks and especially here on essjay.

8. 3_Octave_Fart

I've listened to one Simmons podcast- the one he did on Boogie Nights- and left it thinking that anyone I know could have done the same.
    And in a more entertaining way.

9. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

You hate to see it.

And by that of course I mean you love to see it.

2muchcoffeeman and Chef2 like this.
  10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Missed a golden opportunity to hire Whitlock.

11. 3_Octave_Fart

I forgot that Mariotti was also trending.

It's '00s Week on Woke Twitter.

12. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Except Mariotti actually made some sense.

Draft saved Draft deleted