1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I've typed it out here before:

This is a country where we aired the camera phone footage of the kid who shot up the Florida school on the news and, bleeped out kids cursing while trying to save their lives while leaving in the sounds of this asshole blowing people to smithereens. You know, because we didn't want to harm the children *eyeroll*

2. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

kkkaren

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Yup. Like I said, many of our society's ideas regarding profanity are idiotic.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Here's the real issue right now: people don't want objectivity. They only want to hear "news" that validates their world view. If you objectively report that Joe Biden is leading in all the polls, all the Trumpies think you're biased for even bringing it up. If you quote the Tulsa fire department when they release the fact that 6,200 people were at Trump's rally last week, leaving two-third of the area empty, you're biased because you quote numbers from an official agency, and they probably lied anyway. When the Trumpies complain that protesters kept people from getting there, and the Tulsa police report that protester activity was minimal, again, "fake news ..." I suppose MSNBC consumers are probably the same.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

There is a very simple retort to those people, well all people, prove it.

Prove that the numbers are wrong, don’t just say it, prove it.

People don’t take the bait, don’t give substance to some conclusion, demand back up.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

You're pronouncing it wrong, it's godfuckingdammit

8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

The true victims in this: The cops

Four weeks after George Floyd's death, an embattled police union finally speaks out - CNN

"'We have become scapegoats in this,' said Bob Kroll, police union president.

And he said he said "I don't know what was going through Officer Chauvin's mind, but I can say that I don't agree with how it ended."

You can't agree with how it ended? How mighty white of you to say. "I was on board with the racial profiling, roughing him up for passing a forgery and the knee on the neck. But you know where I draw the line? Him dying. I was totally with the cop right up until the guy died. It was just a bit much."

Fuck off.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Another piece on whether defunding the police is a wise idea.

https://t.co/JhyMQ7J5Nc

“Our police department is woefully ‘defunded’ — which has led to overworked, underpaid and therefore underqualified police officers Do I really want a man or woman who’s worked 16 hours straight, with a gun in their hand, with state-sanctioned ability to take my life, who is tired — do I want that person authorized to police me? The answer to that is no.”

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

We have to learn from the failures, too.

7 decades of "police reform" have got us nowhere.

11. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

3132982C-2BB7-49C3-B301-1D611587D007.jpeg

Never been a cubs fan, but will give them a thumbs up today.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

HanSenSE likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted