1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

This coming from a guy who's school brags of the circus major at his school?

2. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

I’ve never heard that. I’ll be interested to read more about it if you can share the link.

3. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

FSU, right?

The FSU Flying High Circus

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Can we just agree most college traditions are weird and kinda cult-like, with Texas A&M probably the leader in the clubhouse for nonsense?

OscarMadison, sgreenwell and Patchen like this.
  6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I found this fascinating. I didn't know anything about it, until a friend put me onto it. Teacher in small town in Iowa in 1968 did a classroom experiment that became a controversy to teach kids about prejudice and hatred. This must have been filmed later or in a subsequent year. The story below explains it all. The video itself, even if it is edited or it was staged (I don't know), is still pretty fascinating.

Lesson of a Lifetime | Science | Smithsonian Magazine

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Wow, it’s so insightful. I just met with an 80 yr old potential client who was African American and we talked about how no one can ever understand what it’s like to be a minority simply because of your skin color unless you are one; your spouse (who isn’t) simply doesn’t feel it as you do.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

There was a similar school experiment done the year before at a California high school to teach about the Holocaust.

The Third Wave (experiment) - Wikipedia

it was later made into a movie that would be frequently shown on the ABC After-School specials. It was an annual screening in my Hebrew School.

9. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I remember them showing "The Wave" in my public school as well. I think it was in seventh grade.

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted