1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I don't know that Ty Cobb was any more racist than anyone else from Georgia in his day.
    I'm pretty sure he was just a bastard.

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

FWIW, there has also been a lot of pushback on the "Cobb was a racist" stuff since the 2000s, and especially since 2015, when there was a good biography refuting it. There's more on Wikipedia and other sources, but much of the misinformation stems from Al Stump, a shitty journalist.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  3. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

By today's standards, Cobb was a racist just like everyone else. It's just fair to say he probably got into more fights with white guys than he did black.
    He was just a prick ... but a hell of a hitter.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I was referring to this:

HanSenSE likes this.
  5. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Think so
    Think so
    Think so

No sex, no drugs, no wine, no women
    No fun, no sin, no you, no wonder it's dark

Neutral Corner likes this.
  6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The "pushback" pendulum has pushed way way past "maybe Cobb wasn't a virulent murderous racist" all the way to "Cobb was a saint walking the earth, an Atticus Finch in baseball flannels."

The revisionist history is a little silly. Cobb was well known as a nasty son of a bitch while he was playing. Al Stump didn't make all that up.

The parts about the drunken brawls and the car chases down the Nevada mountain roads, yeah, he probably did make up.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
  7. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Wrong fucking Florida school. That's the home of the assholes in Tallahassee.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

0 for 2 so far. Got one at Taco Bell, however. Not the greatest drink in the world my brother claimed.

Place for pigeons to poop?

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Apologies. I blame a Mountain West education ... and soccer, of course.

Matt1735 likes this.
  10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I knew that - of course I knew that - you think I didn't know that?
    [​IMG]

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

SEC commissioner Greg Sankey fires a major shot across the bow at Mississippi's flag.
    Not sure how much he can really enforce this, though, since they don't play -- and probably never would -- any of the league's championship events in the state.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  12. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Regardless if it’s offensive or not, it’s a stupid fucking chant. Like just about every UF “tradition.”

Draft saved Draft deleted