1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Type Of Reporter?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dan Omlor, May 24, 2020.

1. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

I'd quit on the spots before selling ads as a journalist.

Combine jobs as a photographer, videographer, editor, social media guru, writer, reporter, fine.

There's an ethical line that cannot be crossed and that is reporting on the same business you're approaching to sell ads to.

2. Bob Smith

Bob Smith Member

I would not sell ads. No knack for it, no interest in doing it. What I would do is freelance at a paper or site and combine that with another part-time job or two. I also think journalism, moreso now than ever, is not a profession for someone who wants a white picket fence and 2 kids. And people will need to move around more and be willing to travel light and move 500 miles to take a new job. There is also no such thing as loyalty any more. You give your two weeks' notice if you're leaving but otherwise, don't think twice about leaving the good ol' Herald-Fishrap "family" if there's something better out there.

Liut likes this.
  3. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

If you work at a weekly, you do it all.

4. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Wouldn't Fredrick want to take a job away from a suit?

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I have worked at a weekly. I did not sell ads.

6. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

He would love it. Could say work 70 hours not 40 up from his typical 60 schtick. Frederick get some stones and stand up to your boss

Why should you when you know the business side has no loyalty either today. If you have no ties to the local Herald-Fishrap, why wouldn't you leave if you work hard and something better comes along? Don't you want something better?

cjericho likes this.
  7. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

If I was gonna be a salesman I’d go sell something that would actually make some money not fcking newspaper ads on the side

stix likes this.
  8. stix

stix Well-Known Member

I'd rather just cut right to the chase.

Interview someone, turn off my recording device and ask for 50 bucks. Why waste time selling ads?

9. stix

stix Well-Known Member

God, no shit, you said it.

I don't want to be a dick to the original poster, but I get a kick out of the "future of journalism" posts sometimes. As far as newspapers are concerned, there is no future.

Do what you do as long as you can do it, then go do something else. It's that simple. Like you said, if I have to sell something, I'll go sell something worth selling.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  10. tonygunk

tonygunk Member

The branding of this as "the new type of reporter" and not a complete failure of this business is a completely fucked up thing that would only be said by a suit trying to squeeze the last bit of profit out of our craft.

2muchcoffeeman and stix like this.
  11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I didn't sell ads at Patch, but I did make joint appearances with a rep at some advertisers' places of business. And, like newspapers, I wrote a few puff pieces -- like a store opening -- thinly disguised as news. This is nothing new.

But I have always wondered why in the blue fuck newspapers would cannibalize their revenue and send multiple reporters to cover a Krispy Kreme opening? For the same reason I suppose papers never do in-depth investigations of supermarkets.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

As a Murdoch-Murdoch exec turned owner tabloid, the Herald crossed a zillion ethical lines. But they never asked a reporter or a columnist to do so, at least as far as I know. The atrocities were management's alone.

Draft saved Draft deleted