1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In-state sports reporter, Arkansas-Democrat Gazette — Little Rock

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jason Yates, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Jason Yates

Jason Yates New Member

This is for the same position listed on Indeed and already posted in this forum, but with more detail:

The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, located in Little Rock, is seeking a sports reporter to cover and keep the pulse of athletics at Arkansas State University, the University of Arkansas-Little Rock, the University of Central Arkansas and the University of Arkansas Pine-Bluff.

In past years, previous beat writers traveled to New Orleans to cover the Sun Belt men’s and women’s basketball tournaments, to Denver to chronicle No. 12 seed UALR’s first-round upset of No. 5 seed Purdue in the 2016 men’s NCAA Tournament, and to Tucson for coverage of Arkansas State’s Arizona Bowl loss to Nevada this past season.

During football season, Arkansas State is the main objective of the beat writer. In basketball season, it is UALR men's and women's basketball.

In the collegiate offseason, this position serves as the primary beat writer for the Arkansas Travelers, a Class AA baseball affiliate of the Seattle Mariners.

Applicants should have strong reporting skills, a commitment to accuracy, an ability to adjust to multiple deadlines and a dedication to knowing what is happening on their beat. Writing for a digital world and social-media skills are also required skills.

Experienced and entry-level candidates are encouraged to apply. Out-of-state candidates will be considered.

Applicants should submit a resume, cover letter and five writing samples to Assistant Sports Editor Jason Yates at jyates@adgnewsroom.com, or mail your material to 121 E. Capitol Ave., Little Rock AR, 72201, attention Jason Yates. References will be required upon request.

MiamiBoy likes this.
  2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Thanks, d_b.

3. MiamiBoy

MiamiBoy Active Member

I sent my resumé and writing samples in last week, but didn't include a cover letter. Is it okay if I send that to you today?

4. Jason Yates

Jason Yates New Member

Sure. I'm not going to start heavily sifting through applications until Thursday.

5. MiamiBoy

MiamiBoy Active Member

Thank you for the response.
    Another question, does the reporter travel to all the road games for Arkansas State football? I see they play Michigan this fall and that seems like a cool trip.

RonClements likes this.
  6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I can’t help this. You’re hired.

7. MiamiBoy

MiamiBoy Active Member

Wonderful news.

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

You’re a good sport. Good luck with your efforts to get that gig.

9. Alex123Alex

Alex123Alex New Member

Does anyone know if this job is still accepting applications?

10. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Probably not based on this reply from last Tuesday.

"I'm not going to start heavily sifting through applications until Thursday."

Alex123Alex and Antwan Staley like this.
  11. MiamiBoy

MiamiBoy Active Member

12. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

His bio was updated:

Trenton Daeschner
    Former sports writer

Draft saved Draft deleted