1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic layoffs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by silvercharm, Jun 5, 2020.

1. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Active Member

I think @MeanGreenATO had a list of the first page of this thread that had to be pretty close to complete.

MeanGreenATO likes this.
  2. BrianFMcLaughlin

BrianFMcLaughlin New Member

I second this.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Mariotti is wrong in his assessment that fire-slinging columnists was the golden ticket.

He's right that the site lacks strong personalities, and the ones it has are lost, to some degree, in a deluge of content from everywhere and everyone.

I'd add, too, a lot of the stories are just too long. I doubt that affects much on the subscription side. But they're too long. There's a nicely-reported piece on what former Utah players think of Morgan Scalley, but it reads like an endless legal brief that has to be over 3,000 words.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
  4. My apologies. The last time I saw the list there was about 15 names. He has 30+ now. Thanks.

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

True. If you had more columnists and fewer reporters, the columnists would be tackling each other every time another NFL story came up. Anarchy of ego.

HanSenSE likes this.
  6. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

There's one baseball beat writer whose endless stories at The Athletic have me convinced his previous editors deserved combat pay.

7. Hooray4snail

Hooray4snail Active Member

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The list includes three MMA reporters and one MMA editor. That suggests to me that people were not reading that content. Wish those folks could have been moved to other responsibilities.

9. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Sorry, as interesting as MMA is, that's two reporters and an editor too many for that beat ...

HanSenSE and tapintoamerica like this.
  10. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

When I write an 800-word story I feel like that’s real long.

11. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

No offense to Moddy/others who work there, but I'm constantly dumbfounded at the length of Athletic stories. Most should be less than 20 inches or read like it is.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  12. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Agree about the story lengths. They vomit their notebooks into a story and unless it's really damned good, at some point you just give up.

Years ago an editor friend of mine said working on websites was great "because you can write as long as you want to." I told him just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Draft saved Draft deleted