1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 NFL Off-season

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Oh, Deadspin. Don't you ever change.
    Looks like broken-down, declining, possibly insane Cam Newton is going to join Colin Kaepernick on the SJW Mt. Rushmore of aggrieved NFL quarterbacks.
    If you don't want to click on it (and I don't blame you), most of the 10 that they list are third-stringers making the league minimum. Which goes a long way toward explaining why they are getting paid and Kaepernick and Newton are not.

Ten Trash QBs Getting Paid While Kaepernick And Newton Wait

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Headline in the Baltimore Sun: Robert Kraft Sees a Happy Ending for the NFL. Give some copy editor a raise. Hell, make him publisher.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Cam Newton is a petulant has-been. At least Jameis knew he had to take a atep back to resurrect his rep.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Newton is a veteran with a problematic injury history. That's not has-been. That's not Winston's situation by any means. Newton could still be a huge bargain if he's healthy, but if and healthy are bad words in an NFL sentence.

sgreenwell likes this.
  5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The story would need to tell us what Newton's contract demands are. I suspect he's unwilling to play for what the Trashmen are getting.
    The one case I noticed recently is Flacco, who signed with somebody even though he's hurt and out until October. Newton's injury doesn't sound that bad. But I shed no tears for Newton.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Two more rounds of layoffs and he probably will be, since he'll be the only one left in the building.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

That has "jumped the gun" and "really overzealous" written all over it in regards to Cam Newton. As for Colin Kaepernick, I dispute not a word said about him.

Newton's major injuries the last three seasons involve his throwing shoulder and the foot in which a quarterback needs to push off to launch the ball down the field, never mind that he needs those feet working perfectly to run effectively and with power. You think those might be issues with any team looking to sign him?

As also mentioned, we don't know if Newton has received any offers and if any potential ask is more than a team is willing to put on the table. Fair or otherwise, he's looking at signing a one-year "prove it" deal to show that his body is still up to NFL abuse and that assumes that he can go somewhere and do something other than practice and hold a clipboard on Sundays.

If nothing else, he's become a modern example of how everyone is susceptible to excessive wear and tear, that if hit enough, even quarterbacks the size of tanks can be worn down. If I heard or read one more time that "he's 6 (foot)-5, 250 (pounds), he can continue to take it," I was going to lose what little might be left of my mind.

If linemen can break down with the abuse they take, so can quarterbacks. Yes, even Cam Newton.

Would really like to know if he spoke with anyone regarding Newton's situation who can shed some light on things - general managers, Newton's camp, scouts, coaches - or if he was just talking out his rear end. Whereas we know Kaepernick is being blackballed for speaking out, the reason Newton is not signed is almost certainly physical, and likely not where this writer is trying to go with it.

8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Well, it was nice to see two Mizzou guys on the list.

Daniel was never given a chance because of his height. I think he could have been a serviceable starter if given the chance. Gabbert, despite a decent record in college, sucked, the very definition of a one-read QB.

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Watched Super Bowl III last night for the first time, since I was but a stripling in 1969. Ewbank's gameplan and Jets' execution still one of the greatest upsets ever, schooling a young Don Shula. (Best I've seen was Miami over Nebraska.) And, Ewbank the only coach to win modern titles in two leagues. Jets winning a title with six-foot (if that) Larry Grantham at LB? Jets D takes Colts All-Pro TE John Mackey completely out of the game. Lenny Lyles absolutely torched by George Sauer yet Shula couldn't help him out? (There's a statue of Lyles at Louisville.) NFL MVP Earl Morrall having his worst game of the season. (Redeemed later with 1972 Dolphins.) At one point late in the game with the clock running and Baltimore driving, a Colt is injured and his teammates actually drag him off the field. And AFL MVP Namath in his prime, quickest release ever. And high top shoes all around, thanks Johnny U.

All I got.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Matt Snell should have been the Super Bowl MVP.

11. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Had it on, too, primarily to show my kids that my team actually did win a Super Bowl and Dad wasn't making it up.

12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Snell dished it out but took a beating for sure. There was some cheap-shotting toward the end.

Draft saved Draft deleted