1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic layoffs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by silvercharm, Jun 5, 2020.

1. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

When you hit the same, tired note post after post, you lose the benefit of the doubt.

Maybe you shouldn't have been a glib jackass all the time.

studthug12 likes this.
  2. My heart goes out to everyone who was let go.

Been there numerous times, and it always sucks.

If I can help anyone let me know - drop me a line.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Wait.
    John Glennon was canned from his beat covering the Titans ahead of what could be a Super Bowl year?
    Remind me again why I should renew my subscription?

Liut likes this.
  4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think mass layoffs are used in part to get rid of staff management considers non-performers. It is easier to sweep people away as part of a layoff rather than calling them into the office and firing them individually. I would bet a lot of money a new Titans reporter emerges quickly.

5. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

I think there's something to this.

Logic would have said simply removing a few extra writers from different areas. Some cities even have general assignment reporters or pure features writers, not a beat assignment. Instead, they've removed some writers who were the only ones covering a team or college.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I get the sense they also eliminated regional areas that I assume weren't showing numbers. I'm not sure if the entire Arizona operation got whacked, but I know the Cardinals, Suns and Coyotes writers were all laid off along with an editor.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  7. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

The Coyotes writer seemed very prolific, especially since sports stopped.

Sports Barf and Liut like this.
  8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Interesting business decision if they are pulling out of a top-10 market altogether. I am going to guess they will hire someone. Would be odd if they had nobody in Phoenix but kept covering the failing football program at Va Tech.

9. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

I believe Doug Haller remains on staff. Pretty sure C.J. Holmes is still covering Arizona. I have no knowledge of this, but I suspect they'll rehire for Suns once 20-21 season gets closer. Suns don't have a team in Orlando, so it's going to be a while until they have meaningful news. Can't explain the lack of an Arizona Cardinals reporter.

Liut likes this.
  10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yeah, haven't seen anything about Haller or Holmes so they still may be around.

The Suns will be in Orlando - they were the last team to make the cut.

11. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Perhaps because many people, especially the 40 million Americans who have lost their job, no longer have the discretionary income to use on The Athletic. I'd be willing to bet The Athletic has had a high number of subscribers drop them. Just a thought.

Liut likes this.
  12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

If they rehire for a position that was cut, that seems to be pretty strong grounds for a lawsuit based on age discrimination — hiring a young kid to replace a more experienced writer with skins on the wall. Even if the laid-off writer is only 37.

Draft saved Draft deleted