1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Trumpist tweet ingredients:
    racism
    misspellings
    lack of proper capitalization
    ludicrous conspiracy theories
    attack Dems

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

“Funders of this chaos”. Always comes back to shit like this.

3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Same here. Even if your intentions aren't malicious, there's a 99 percent chance it'll be perceived that way.
    Thinking about it now, one thing I hope we see in the coming years is a push by the black community to make it just as uncool and radioactive among themselves. The acceptance of it in the black community and its unacceptability when used by others will almost certainly lead to missteps (for lack of a better term). If you want to truly eliminate it from the vocabulary, condemn black people who use it just as much as you would a white person. Make it so there is no doubt that that word is unacceptable in any form or fashion, by anyone.

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

At the risk of waging another battle in the War on Christians, I present Saint Dabo of the Upstate wearing a “Football Matters” shirt. Today. In public. The slogan is the National Football Foundation’s. Swinney uses it frequently in conversation. Has done so for years. So it’s not new.
    But in the current state of affairs, he is either clueless or contemptuous. Not today, dude.

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Holy fuck. Twitter is a strange, twisted, and bizarre place, Volume umpteen hundred and twelve.

You know how you never want to be the guy that everyone on Twitter is talking about? You don't even want to be anywhere close to a minor version of that person. So Madison's a writer for AlDotCom. He posted this earlier today, and it went small time viral, got a bunch of likes and made his phone ding hundreds of times.

Later in the day he posted this, and an entire microcosm of Twitter exploded in his mentions.

Briefly, a local semi-hipster bar owner sent texts to his minority owner partner and another worker at the bar, bitching that curfews have cut into profits and saying that Floyd was a thug and any protesters who work there should just quit. He also discussed raising prices on everything by $1-$2 as a "protest tax". Text was forwarded, three employees quit, text is linked on Facebook, a storm forms, boycotts are discussed. In his defense owner notes that some of his friends are black, including a guy from Gambia, and that he had been watching this video from Candace Owens that had informed his thinking. This puts out the fire by pouring gas on it.

Someone CC's Owens, who promptly starts a GoFundMe for the poor afflicted asshole owner which breaks $100k in an hour and is still rolling. Madison's phone is about to melt and he's pretty much had enough, particularly since all his original post said was "Welp" with a link to the story.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I (white) was once on a landscape crew in which the young black guys kept calling one another the n-word. Finally, an older black gentlman on the crew objected.

The young guys blew him off.

I have always, and always will, to my dying day find that word terrible. Just absolutely awful.

EDIT: I'm a middle-of the-road Republican. Which, of course, means there's no place, politically, in my country for me. FWIW, I did not vote for President Trump. I wrote in the name of the person I supported in the primary process ... then-Ohio governor John Kasich. I still think he would have been good president. Good night and God Bless.

cyclingwriter2 and Fred siegle like this.
  8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I grew up in a mixed race neighborhood in Brooklyn and was often the one white kid on the hoops court (literally for part of HS) You learned by osmosis that the word was not for you or you learned the hard way.

9. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

In this situation, in the 90s, I got called Billy Ray — as in Cyrus, I assume; proxy stand-in for
    generic white person — a lot, until I showed I could play. Then I was called Kukoc.

Liut, Neutral Corner and Michael_ Gee like this.
  10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

In my time, Cunningham was the best a white guy could hope for. Most often, I got called Awtrey or the ultimate diss, Counts.

Liut, MTM, HanSenSE and 1 other person like this.
  12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted