1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The spring football game 1981 at dear old Private U, Slidell High School, Slidell, La. (White) Mayor Webb Hart is honorary captain. My team is driving and a black running back gets stopped close to the goal. "C'mon, n-gger, ya gotta punch it in," yell several black teammates on the sideline. "Yeah, n-gger, how you get stopped like that!" Nearby, the mayor and his cronies hear them and start cracking up. Then, the black players who yelled see the white guys laughing, and THEY start cracking up. It was a glorious moment in southern college football history.

Liut likes this.
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

4. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

NEVER FORGET

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I still hear the word used when I officiate high school football games. Directed at teammates and at opposing players. I hear it, I flag it, as do others.

Matt1735 likes this.
  6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Yeah, as best I could tell from her bio, she was pretty liberal at one time and had a liberal blog. When she was in high school, she sued her school for racial discrimination because some white classmates (including the governor's son), harassed her and the school did nothing about it.

At some point, I guess she just figured out a way to make money off hard-working morons.

This past winter, when I was on my way to cover a hockey game, I went into a Dunkin Donuts. Two older guys, white, in their late 60s or 70s, sat at the table next to me, talking about how the impeachment was a hoax and they sang her praises as a young black person who really "gets it."

As I said, she knows how to make bigots feel better about themselves.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

BYM is right, but all but the n-word are used so rarely. The only time I've ever heard the word Kike used is in the movies. You'd think someone would have called me that by now.

8. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I went to am inner-city high school, 50-50 white and black. My high school football team was mostly black. I'd say we all got along pretty well for the most part. It was used so much among black players that you didn't bat an eye, honestly. Way before there was any rule against it. White players obviously knew to never go there.

Webster and MileHigh like this.
  9. Neutral Corner

That's where I am. I've heard it forever, but I'm not deluded enough to think that it's cool for me to use it. Even if it's something like quoting "The Wire", you just don't go there. It invokes too much hate and bloodshed.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    Batman likes this.
  10. Neutral Corner

11. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

A fine choice of words

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Interesting use of a word and an action that, according to Sen. Paul, isn't really worthy of fedruhl legislation.

Draft saved Draft deleted